Ennis finishes NBA Summer League

Former 49er and current Miami Heat shooting guard and forward James Ennis concluded an impressive professional debut stint as the NBA wrapped up its Summer League season on Monday.

Miami was the only NBA team to compete in both the Orlando and Las Vegas Summer Leagues, and Ennis joined three other teammates to play in both cities and all seven games in Las Vegas.

Ennis played four of Miami’s five games in Orlando, where he ranked 11th in points among all players with 14.3 per game. Ennis also shot 43.2 percent from the field while averaging 24.8 minutes and 4.3 rebounds per game.

Ennis averaged 23.7 minutes and 12.7 points per game while knocking down 42.9 percent of his 3-pointers in Las Vegas.

Ennis’s biggest show came in Miami’s final game Sunday, a 91-89 semifinals elimination loss to the Phoenix Suns. Ennis scored 25 points in a season-high 34 minutes and went eight for 17 in field goal attempts while collecting nine rebounds.

With former Heat shooting guard Mike Miller becoming a free agent, Ennis could be among several of Miami’s young shooting guards considered to replace Miller on next season’s final roster.

Of Miami’s three shooting guards to play all Las Vegas League games, Ennis led undrafted players James Nunnally and D.J. Kennedy in rebounds per game with 4.7.

Ennis finished second in minutes per game to Kennedy’s 10.6 minutes per game average. Ennis also trailed Nunnally’s 13 points per game and 57.7 field goal percentage.

Competing with his Summer League teammates for that final roster spot, Ennis’s numbers ranked below those of Kennedy and Nunnally in two other main categories. Ennis averaged .9 assists per game and shot 70 percent from the free throw line, which both ranked third among the three players.

The only other former 49er to play in the Summer League was undrafted point guard Casper Ware, who averaged 10 points and 22.8 minutes in five games for the Houston Rockets.

The next appearance for Ennis could be at Heat’s training camp this fall. Ware has yet to reach a deal with an NBA team but signed with a team in Italy’s Serie A earlier this month.