Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Volleyball

Former stars return for women’s volleyball alumni match

It has become a popular tradition for the Long Beach State women’s volleyball team to celebrate each new season with a match against its alumni.

2013 was no different, as the current squad defeated the alumni in straight sets — 25-16, 25-18, 25-13 — Friday night as 49ers from the last 30 years returned home.

The match signified more to LBSU than a final tune-up before competitive play begins on Friday. It also marked Haleigh Hampton’s return to the court after she missed all of last season due to a shoulder injury.

“It feels really great,” the junior middle blocker said. “Tonight was a great opportunity to gel a little bit before a huge opening weekend. It really helped me get the butterflies out.”

Hampton showed no signs of rust in her return, providing a multitude of blocks and kills throughout the contest.

“Haleigh was just outstanding,” head coach Brian Gimmillaro said. “Her being able to play is special.”

After a 2012 season that was challenged by injuries to many of the top players, Gimmillaro said he was optimistic about this year.

“We’re better, there’s no question we’re better,” Gimmillaro said. “We got players back who are healthy and ready to train. We’re good at what we do, and if we get enough time, we’ll be pretty good.”

The alumni roster featured many former 49er standouts, including Janisa Johnson (2009-12), Cynthia Buggs (2006-07), Jillian Mozzarella (2003-04), Patty Terry (1982-85) and Danielle Scott-Arruda (1990-93). Assistant coach Erika Chidester also played.

Scott-Arruda, a member of the 1993 national championship team and five-time Olympian, said she always enjoys returning for the alumni match and that she can already sense vast improvement in the current squad.

“I feel excited. It’s always nice to come back to the Pyramid,” Scott said.

In giving advice to the 2013 49ers, she said, “Keep playing together. I saw a lot of hustle and going after second balls and think I saw only one miscommunication. Just keep going for every ball, keep the composure and play as a team. Have each other’s back, and it’s going to be a great season.”

A heartfelt moment came at the end of the third set when Marcella Lees (1987-88) entered to serve twice with her daughter Morgan on the other side making her first appearance for the ‘Niners.

LBSU begins the regular season on Friday night when it hosts Illinois at 7 p.m. in the opening round of the Long Beach State Mizuno Invitational.