Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Volleyball

Women’s volleyball team finally healthy

After being hampered by injuries from day one in 2012, the 49ers enter the 2013 campaign fully healthy and ready to compete at a high level once again.

The perennial Big West Conference powers will face an immediate test this weekend with three matches in as many nights when they host the annual Long Beach State Mizuno Invitational.

“We’re better because we’re healthy,” head coach Brian Gimmillaro said. “How good, we’ll just have to see, but there’s no question we’re better. This weekend will certainly tell; it’s the second best tournament in the country all year.”

The Beach will square off with Illinois on Friday at 7:30 p.m., No. 18 Florida State on Saturday at 7 p.m. and No. 17 Kentucky on Sunday at 5 p.m.
In order for the team to be successful over the three-match stretch, middle blocker Haleigh Hampton said the approach will require “a lot of patience.”

“We have a really tough opening weekend, and I think we can’t get ahead of ourselves,” she said. “We’ve got to be really focused and level-headed and play without the roller coaster of up and down while learning to be a steady team.”

Hampton, a redshirt junior and 2011 honorable mention All-American, missed all of 2012 after shoulder surgery and looks to make an immediate impact in her return. She credited 2012 honorable mention All-American Chisom Okpala for her ability to fill in during her absence and looks forward to playing as a tandem.

“It’s exciting, like the 1-2 punch,” Hampton said. “When I’m out and she’s in, I think they can’t really get away from the middle and they can’t ignore us.”

Along with Hampton, starting setter Erin Juley missed all of last season because of a knee injury, and outside hitter Delainey Aigner-Swesey sat out the last 10 matches with a broken finger on her hitting hand.

“It’s just great to have them back in practice,” Gimmillaro said. “They’re all so much better. The more they train the better they get, so we’re hoping they continue on the same path.”

Hampton, Juley and Aigner-Swesey will join Chelsea Cabrajac, Tyler Jackson and Alex Reid in the starting lineup.  Reid will take over for Janisa Johnson, who led the team last season and is back as an assistant coach.

“You’re going to see a lot out of Delainey with her senior year coming up and Alex as someone who can come in once Delainey leaves,” Hampton said. “I think our back row has done a phenomenal job of getting themselves ready physically to really be competitive.”

Conference play begins on Sept. 27 when the ‘Niners travel to take on UC Santa Barbara. Once again, the Big West schedule will be highlighted by matches on Oct. 4 and Nov. 2, when The Beach plays No. 11 Hawaii, first at home and then on the road.

“That’ll be a very, very good match,” Gimmillaro said. “It’ll be a great match both there and here. They’re very good, better than they were last year and so are we. The conference is all better though, so that’s a good sign.”

The Beach finished second in the Big West last season, behind Hawaii, with an overall record of 18-11, going 13-5 within the conference.  It was just the second time in Gimmillaro’s 28-year career that his team did not qualify for the NCAA tournament.