Commentary, Men's Sports, Men's Water Polo, Sports

TURNER: Water polo team off to stronger start than expected

Surprise, surprise.

The Long Beach State men’s water polo team does not appear to have hit any speed bumps in starting the season.

With Dan Matulis out for the season with a torn labrum and Nick Rascon sitting out the year as well, the 49ers were expected to struggle out of the gate.

Not to mention, LBSU’s second-leading goal scorer Spencer White and team captain Brian Schiefer graduated, leaving the team thin on senior leadership.

Starting goalkeeper Balint Meszaros decided to return home to his native Hungary following his first season with the 49ers, a big loss after Meszaros set the single-season record for saves at LBSU last year.

Add all of those together, and all signs pointed to this being a rebuilding year.

Luckily, a youth movement has resurrected the 49ers’ hopes.

The Beach battled its way to an undefeated performance at the Triton Invitational in San Diego. The loss of Meszaros was not an issue for the 49ers this week, as Gavin Arroyo turned to sophomore Pavo Ljepopio to get the starting nod.
Ljepopio answered the call, making 25 saves in three wins against UC Davis, Air Force and No. 13 Loyola Marymount.

A 9-8 win over LMU provides positive signs for LBSU early in the season. The Lions have challenged the 49ers in recent years (LBSU won the 2012 season series 2-1) and the victory shows that The Beach has not taken a step back following its 24-win season from a year ago.

Sophomore Derek Anderson started the game against Cal Lutheran with LBSU winning that game, 10-4.

Nolan McConnell starred for the 49ers at the tournament. The sophomore scored 11 goals and was named the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation player of the week. He had two four-goal games in the tournament.

McConnell was third on the team with 47 goals as a freshman. Through four games this season, McConnell is averaging 2.75 goals per game, up from 1.52 last year.

The 49ers are looking to McConnell to take the reins this year, but he will not be alone. There are proven contributors sprinkled throughout the lineup, and they showed up last weekend.

Zacchary Kappos, Carter Taylor, Devin Mefford and Milos Vrzic each recorded hat tricks over the weekend.

Expect the 49ers to roll through the Inland Empire Tournament this weekend as they prepare for their first taste of MPSF competition at the Nor Cal Tournament in Berkeley on Sept. 21.