Softball, Sports, Women's Sports

49ers end Judi Garman Classic with comeback victory

A dramatic, come-from-behind victory against Texas in the Judi Garman Classic capped off the most impressive showing of the season for the Long Beach State softball team.
The 49ers (16-7) have now won nine out of their last ten games, their lone loss, 5-0, coming Saturday against Wisconsin (10-9). It was the fourth time the 49ers were shutout this season.
The offense was led by Ashlynn Booker, who collected seven hits over the weekend, including three home runs. Her biggest hit of the tournament came in the finale against Texas (14-13). With the 49ers tied heading to the bottom of the ninth, Booker homered to give the team 4-3 walk-off win.
Other key offensive contributors over the weekend include Ashley Holmes, who added another homer to already impressive season, and Darian Tautalafua, who tied the game in the bottom of the sixth in the comeback win against Texas.
The 49ers’ starting pitching continues to improve and show the consistency needed to make a playoff run. Erin Jones-Wesley was excellent in three starts over the weekend. She struck out eight in six shutout innings against Fresno State (12-8).
Jones-Wesley tossed complete games in wins against Texas and San Jose State (11-11). She says an emphasis on trying to make her pitches move instead of focusing on velocity has helped her be more effective.
“I’m just trying to have my pitches have more spin on them, and pitch it where the batter’s bat isn’t,” she said.

The 49ers will now travel to San Diego for the San Diego Classic II, where they’ll look to extend their best play of the season.