News, Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Volleyball

Breaking: Long Beach State Athletics relieves women’s volleyball coach of duties

Long Beach State women’s volleyball head coach Joy McKienzie-Fuerbringer was relieved of her duties, effective immediately, after failing to meet program expectations, according to a press release on Monday, Oct. 25.

“Making a coaching change is never easy, but it’s an especially difficult decision when you know that coach has history with our program and university,” Executive Director of Athletics Andy Fee said in the press release. “However, after a thorough review and evaluation of our program, the past five years have not met expectations for a program with a rich tradition and legacy of championships.

McKienzie-Fuerbringer, who is the fifth head coach in the history of the program had an overall record of 47-61 in her five seasons with the team. This season also hasn’t gone the way the team had hoped, posting a 3-7 in conference play so far this year.

Current assistant coach Sabrina Hernandez will now serve as interim head coach for the remainder of the season while LBSU begins a national search for a new head coach.

We thank Joy for her service to our campus and her unquestionable commitment to our student-athletes,” Fee said.

There is no update on whether assistant coach, Matt Fuerbringer, Joy’s husband, will remain on the coaching staff.

LBSU has ten more games remaining this season with the next one on Friday, Oct. 29, at CSU Bakersfield.