Uncategorized

Big West Preview

1. Long Beach State – When Mauricio Ingrassia started coaching at Long Beach Community College in 1995, his team went 7-10-0 his first year, then 17-4-2 his second year and then 26-1-0 his third year. Since Ingrassia started coaching at LBSU in 2004, his team went 6-9-3 his first year, and then 12-5-3 last year. See a pattern?

2. Cal State Fullerton – The defending Big West champs were the first Big West school ever to reach the Sweet 16 in the NCAA Tournament in 2006.

3. Cal Poly – Coming off a disappointing season, the Mustangs will look to senior Sharon Day, who led the team in goals last year. In goal, 2003 Long Beach Wilson High School graduate Ali Trammel could be the starter.

4. UC Santa Barbara – Genelle Ives, who was co-Freshman of the Year along with Hayley Bolt last year, will be the main target for the Gauchos. Key transfer players goalie Katie Wright and forward Heather Young will need to contribute for the Gauchos too.

5. Pacific – Bunny Dickson returns as the leading goal scorer, and Jamie Souza, a Big West Honorable Mention in 2005, will be between the goal posts for the Tigers.

6. UC Riverside – In 2005, the Highlanders were the first Big West team to earn an at-large bid into the NCAA Tournament. All-West Regional goalie Tawney Poggio returns, and might even have to be better 2006 if Riverside wants to finish in the top half.

7. UC Irvine – The Anteaters are expected to struggle in 2006, but with former National Team head coach April Heinrichs now in charge at Irvine, the Anteaters stay in the bottom half of the conference should be short-lived.

8. Cal State Northridge – It might be a long year for the Matadors, but expect a good season from Kristy Krohn, who scored nine goals last year.