Uncategorized

Ohta comes back to The Beach

For the first time in six years, Melissa Ohta is back on the 49er volleyball team, but this time she is not on the roster as a defensive specialist.

After three final four appearances, one national championship and a long enough absence from Long Beach State women’s volleyball to graduate again, Ohta is starting her second stint at The Beach as an assistant coach.

“I’m looking forward to our first match and finally competing again,” Ohta said. “I can’t wait to go to The Pyramid and see all the people. It’s like I never left.”

Ohta said she came back to Long Beach because the position was available and because she is a Southern California native. She was born in Cypress and graduated from Whitney High School in Cerritos before coming to LBSU in 1997.

With her experience on the 1998 Championship team, her captain status in 2000 and as a three-time Big West Conference All-Academic, Ohta believes she brings the experience needed on the squad.

What is encouraging is that this year’s team reminds Ohta of the successful LBSU teams of the late ’90s.

“I see plenty of similarities between the 1999 team and this team because of the two experienced middle blockers, a tall left side and a small setter,” Ohta said. “It’s going to be a challenge for this year’s team because every team has always had someone that was a winner, but there is enough to win.”

“I think we should win the Big West. It’s always been an expectation for this team. The key is just competing.”

Head coach Brian Gimmillaro, who coached Ohta during her student-athlete career at LBSU is pleased to have Ohta back.

“It is great to have Melissa back. She always overachieved and I think the best coaches are the ones that realize how difficult it is to win,” Gimmillaro said. “She has played in three final fours and she has been through it all. She realizes the difficulty in winning and that is why she will be good for us.”

This is Ohta’s third volleyball coaching job, but she believes she has found a home at LBSU.

“I plan to stay here for a while. I’m going to stay here until we win [a National Championship] again,” Ohta said.