Uncategorized

Recreational sports for everybody

The athletics program at Cal State Long Beach has received press recognition for awards like the Commissioner’s Cup and for alumni who have continued to have success at the professional level. But sports participation at CSULB is not just for the super athlete.

According to Director of Recreational Sports Rita Hayes, activities available through the recreational sports department are open to students of any skill level, provided that they have prior knowledge of the sport they wish to play. Students, faculty and staff members can sign up to take fitness classes, or join a club or intramural sport.

“It’s for the average student,” Hayes said. “It gets you out of the classroom.”

Intramurals teams range from six to 15 members depending on the sport, and the cost to join the league ranges from $50 to $125 per team. Players who cannot assemble a team have the option of joining a league as a free agent for $10. Teams are scheduled at times when most students are not in class. Co-ed women’s soccer and flag football teams compete on Friday afternoons, while other intramurals teams compete at night during the week.

CSULB offers a wealth of accomplished club sports teams for students who want to compete against other schools. The Division II 49er Ice Hockey Team ranked 8th in the Western region and is in the top 10 nationally in team defense. The CSULB Alpine Ski and Snowboard Team is ranked 5th in the nation and 2nd in California, and the archery team has had 16 archers named as All-American Collegiate Archers since the team was created in 1963.

While there are already 21 club sports teams available, Hayes said students can petition to create a new club if there is not already one established in a particular sport. She said after a year, the club team is eligible for funding from Associated Students Inc.

While students do not get credit for participating in sports through the recreational sports office, they do get other benefits.

“It’s a great way to meet people,” Hayes said. “You really develop some lifelong friendships.”