Uncategorized

Liquid bombs whip nation into frenzy, panic

Well, it seems that airport security is tighter than ever thanks to the liquid bomb scandal that occurred a few weeks ago. In case you don’t get CNN, here’s what basically went down on Friday, Aug. 11.

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff revealed Friday terrorists were in the “final stages” of a plot to blow up 10 airplanes leaving England for the United States, sending thousands of passengers headfirst into the Atlantic Ocean. An undercover British agent infiltrated the terrorists, giving authorities information on the alleged plan.

British and Pakistani authorities got together to thwart the attacks and 24 men were arrested in overnight raids. Among those arrested were a Muslim charity worker and a Heathrow Airport employee with an all-area access pass, according to Britain’s Channel 4 News. It is believed that the plotters planned on mixing a British sports drink with a gel-like substance to make an explosive that could be ignited with an iPod or a cell phone.

This is high tech stuff, people. These terrorists are highly intelligent and will obviously use any means necessary to murder thousands of innocent people.

But why, you ask, does this matter to you? Well, according to a U.S. administration official, the plot targeted Continental, United, British Airways and American Airlines flights to New York, Washington and California. So in fact, it has everything to do with you.

When the attack first took place, Heathrow Airport did all it could to help protect millions of innocent people. You were only allowed to bring a clear plastic bag with your passport in it. Nothing else was allowed on board any flights.

Now you are allowed to bring a small bag but absolutely no liquids whatsoever, including everything from face creams to applesauce to tubes of toothpaste. The United States will continue to X-ray all shoes before flights and there will be no more bottled or canned drinks in secure areas in all airports.

So does all this really make us any safer? We really don’t know. Some may think it’s a hassle. (I had a friend who flew a week after the attacks to London and he wasn’t even allowed to bring a book on board! No laptop, iPod or any form of entertainment on a 12-hour flight. He probably died of boredom!)

Sometimes I even get annoyed. I want to scream at the security men “Do I look like a terrorist to you? Does my grandma? No? Then why are you strip searching her?”

But then again, the stereotypical idea of a terrorist is an Arab or Muslim man in dark robes with a big beard and a rifle. That doesn’t mean that’s what they actually look like. I guess all these precautions are done to protect us.

But it makes you think. Is all this security really helping at all? Because these terrorists certainly seem to know what they’re doing. They’ll find a way to get around the security restrictions. They’ll find a way to get us. I believe that the only way to stop all this violence and hatred is an act of peace, plain and simple.

For now just be thankful there are so many people out there trying to protect us. It’s got be worth something in the end.

Aneya Fernando is a sophomore journalism major and the assistant opinion editor of the Daily Forty-Niner.