Uncategorized

Sowder named new softball coach

On the evening of Aug. 17, Kim Sowder got the phone call she was hoping for.

Athletic Director Vic Cegles and Senior Women’s Ad-minstrator Cindy Masner asked Sowder is she wanted to be the next softball coach at Long Beach State.

Of course, Sowder said yes.

“To say the least, I was ecstatic,” Sowder said. “It’s an honor to coach at the school I played at and to follow in the footsteps of what Pete Manarino has done in the past 23 years.”

Sowder has been an assistant coach for the past 11 years at LBSU, and before that she was an assistant coach for two years at the University of Pacific.

She is also a member of the Long Beach State Athletics Hall of Fame, and is arguably the greatest shortstop in LBSU history. Sowder led the 49ers to three College World Series appearances between 1989-92, and is still ranked in the LBSU all-time Top 10 in at bats, runs, walks, hits and stolen bases.

Sowder has helped coach LBSU to nine NCAA Regionals in the last 11 years, but the 49ers still haven’t made it to the College World Series since the early ’90s.

Sowder’s main goal is to end that streak.

“I believe it will be tough but I definitely think we are capable of going back to the College World Series,” Sowder said.

LBSU went without a head coach for most of the summer and with these months being essential for recruiting, it was a concern that the 49ers might have been hurt in the recruiting wars this summer. But Sowder said no.

“I don’t think we lost anything this summer,” Sowder said. “LBSU is such a great school, were always appealing to prospective student-athletes.”

Sowder will take over the head coaching duties from Pete Manarino, who retired in June. Manarino won 843 games, winning five conference titles and turned LBSU into a national softball powerhouse.

“I’ve learned a lot from Pete,” Sowder said. “Of course, things will be a little different. I will be hiring a new coaching staff, which will strengthen the program’s new ideas,” Sowder said.

Manarino has left the softball program in solid shape for his predecessor. LBSU lost just two seniors from last year’s team, which reached the NCAA Regionals.

Headlining the returning players is Michelle Turner, who was named Big West Player of the Year and was an All-West Region selection.

Sowder said the response from her players has been positive since they have heard about her hiring.

“I am so grateful to have their support and am looking forward to getting ready for the season,” Sowder said.