Uncategorized

Obie Trice new album not up to par

After a three year hiatus from the scene, Obie Trice drops his second solo effort, “Second Round’s on Me.” After entering the game as a more humorous rapper with the hit “Hopefuly She Got Some Teeth,” Trice re-enters with a different state of mind, more focused with something to prove.

The first single off the album, which features an appearance by Akon, sets the tone for Trice’s whole album. Though, with most of the production being taken over by Shady Records’ Eminem, the rhythm of the album sounds a little too monotonous with few major guest appearances. Compared to his debut album, “Cheers,” there is a more serious tone taken with the direction of Trice’s new release. The album manages to stay afloat with tracks such as “Ghetto,” laced by Trey Songs with a hard beat by J.R. Writer, who actually did a few other tracks on the album as well.

“Second Round’s on Me” captures Obie’s lyrical maturation, as he covers “more serious topics.” The album is definitely a hit for the streets. However, potential aims at commercial success with the records such as “Everywhere I Go” featuring Eminem’s protege himself, 50 Cent, are not fit for the album’s flow.

Though major heads such as Nate Dogg, Akon and Trey Songs make appearances, their presence isn’t well fit for Obie’s records. They seem to have been placed on the songs to beef up the guest appearance list.

One of the worst misplaced tracks on the album is “Jamaican Girl,” which features two unknown artists that have no reason for being on the record.

The song’s attempt at a catchy song for the ladies fails miserably with weak lyrics that I could have said better.

However, if you like any of J.R. Writer’s productions in the past and you’re looking for something to just let beat through the 15s in your trunk, not caring that there aren’t any “hot 16s,” let alone metaphors used, this may be just the album.