Uncategorized

LBSU flying under the radar

When the Long Beach State women’s volleyball team takes the court, opponents don’t see a number before LBSU.

But why aren’t the 49ers nationally ranked?

That’s because the College Sports Television (CSTV)/American Volleyball Coaches Association didn’t include the 49ers in their Top 25 Poll.

Actually, the 49ers were ranked 27 overall, only receiving 64 points compared to the 1431 received by No.1-ranked Nebraska.

On the other hand, why didn’t coaches consider last season’s Big West Conference title? The 49ers had positive records in all categories last season, finishing 25-7 overall (6-1 in Big West) and making its 19th appearance in the NCAA Tournament and competing for a fourth national title.

With a weekend win over the No.13-ranked Missouri Tigers and a 3-0 season start, the 49ers are still underrated, but will take what they can get.

“It’s a great honor but besides winning in the Big West, we need to win in the [NCAA] tournament,” said junior Alexis Crimes.

The 49ers have arguably the best middle blocker in the country in Crimes. The Rancho Cucamonga native led the league with a .378 hitting percentage and 1.44 blocks per game while ranking 23rd in the nation in hitting percentage last year. Crimes enter the 2206 season as a two-time All-Big West First Team member and a 2005 AVCA All-America Honorable Mention.

In the Big West, the 49ers led the league in kills per game (16.80), assists per game (15.44), aces per game (1.52), blocks per game (2.92) and digs per game with 16.45.

As far as the Big West goes, the 49ers have it on lock, at least on paper they do. Of the eight universities in the Big West, seven of them have a roster mainly compiled of freshman and sophomores. The 49ers are the only team that has a roster comprised of veterans with seven juniors, two seniors and only five underclassmen.

Despite being unranked, head coach Brian Gimmillaro has high expectation for his squad. After beating the Tigers in the season opener, Gimmillaro said, “This is Long Beach State, what do you expect.”

Over time, coaches will come to their senses and rank the 49ers in the Top 25 Poll. For now, the 49ers will take their top-rank in the Big West and show why the Big West preseason coaches poll selected them to win the conference