Uncategorized

Pet Shop Boys continue to impress with ‘Fundamental’

Emerging out of London in 1986 with its debut album “Please,” the Pet Shop Boys immediately established itself as a unique unit capable of serving up infectious, synthesizer driven dance tunes as well as catchy pop ballads. Incredibly, 20 years later, the duo of vocalist Neil Tennant and keyboardist Chris Lowe continue to make records as fresh and fetching as they did in their youth. This is something to boast about considering most bands of its stature start losing their creative luster in less than half that time.

Like all of its albums, the Pet Shop Boys latest offering comes with a one-word title. The aptly designated “Fundamental” does indeed strike at the essential elements that make up the group’s appeal. Songs like “Integral” and “I’m With Stupid” contain the pair’s familiar electro-dance beats and Tennant’s soothing, but insistent vocals. Meanwhile, the ballads merge mostly sharp melodies with orchestral flourishes.

“Fundamental” does slant more heavily toward the slow songs. There’s also an orchestral grandeur to these ballads that is particularly pronounced this time around. “Numb” sounds outright cinematic at times with its swirling strings. “God Willing” is also marked by its symphonic reach.

Lyricist Tennant appears to be in a more melancholy mood these days. In the contemplative track “Luna Park” he sings, “Thunder, I wonder?/A storm will come one day/To blow us all away/Like dust on the moon/In Luna Park it can’t be too dark too soon.” In “Numb” he reveals “I wanna be numb/I don’t wanna feel this pain no more.”

Tennant is clearly bothered by what he sees at the governmental level. “I’m With Stupid” is satire about the relationship between British Prime Minister Tony Blair and President Bush. Like most Brits, Tennant seems to view the two leaders’ venture in Iraq to be extremely misguided.

“Psychological” is the most intriguing song on “Fundamental.” The album’s opening track is characterized by dark electronic textures. The atypical piece is more atmospheric and less song oriented than that the rest of the material on the album.

The Pet Shop Boys will also be in Los Angeles on Nov. 8 and 9 to perform shows at the Wiltern Theatre. The group has been an infrequent visitor to the U.S., but when it has crossed the Atlantic to tour, it has tended to put plenty of imagination into everything from costume to set design. Like its latest CD, a Pet Shop Boys’ show is not to be missed.