Uncategorized

Rascals Teriyaki Grill is a good, healthy alternative

Last spring we were ecstatic when we saw that a Rascals Teriyaki Grill was going to be in walking distance of our little newsroom. If you haven’t already seen the large Rascals sign at the corner of Atherton and Bellflower Boulevard, we highly recommend checking it out during your next lunch break or on your way to Interstate 405.

This is Rascals third location, after its other popular stores in Torrance and Gardena have done so well.

One of the best dishes at Rascals is the teriyaki chicken plate, which includes a large mound of rice topped with teriyaki chicken and a green salad. The rice is Japanese sticky rice, which is our personal favorite, and the salad is topped with an Oriental dressing which is very light with a hint of ginger. Each plate is reasonably priced between $6.25 and $6.95.

Junior nutrition major Jamie Torres and friend Laura Flanagan, a junior communications major, also stopped by Rascals for lunch. They visit the Torrance location frequently.

“I saw it when I was driving by this morning and I had it stuck in my head all day,” Flanagan said. “I love their chicken teriyaki.”

The portions are large, so if you’re trying to eat light, then maybe just order a teri bowl, that includes meat and rice.

“It’s something different from school,” said Torres. “It’s a healthy alternative to Carl’s Jr.”

Besides teriyaki chicken and beef, Rascals also makes curry plates, which have a vegetarian option for those of us who do not eat our furry friends.

They also have not-so-average burgers. Rascals makes a chili burger, teri steak burger, veggie burger and even a teri avocado burger. These burgers are huge, so do not be set off by the $3.65 to $4.50 price. There is also a cheeseburger special, which includes a cheeseburger, fries or salad and a drink.

Rascals also makes Hebrew National hot dogs and they can be topped with cheese, chili or both. This also goes for the french fries.

If you are in the mood for something healthier, Rascals also makes an excellent Chinese chicken salad and a range of cold-cut and hot sandwiches. The sandwiches are a little pricey, starting at $5.95, but the salad is priced at $4.75 to $6.25.

Rascals also carries Cherry Pepsi on tap for those people who can’t stand that we are a “Coke campus.”

The service is fast, so if you don’t have a lot of time in-between classes, Rascals is still a good choice.

“The people here are really friendly,” Torres said. “I would recommend it to other students.”

So do we. Rascals is open from 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Saturdays and is closed on Sunday. Phone orders are welcome.