Uncategorized

The Shys are not afraid to kick out the jams

The Shys are a band with a message. And that message is simple: rock on.

On their debut album “Astoria,” they tear recklessly through 11 tracks of pure rock ‘n’ roll, the kind of down-and-dirty three-chord rock that celebrates being young, reckless, and having fun. These guys do not want to change the world or promote some “important” cause. Instead, they just want to party like it’s 1975.

The San Clemente, Calif.- based quartet proudly wears its classic rock influences on its sleeves, which will inevitably cause cynical critics (particularly those Rolling Stone-reading diehards who still believe rock died around the time disco boogied its way into pop music) to cry out, “That’s not original!”

It’s true that the Shys’ sound is derivative of classic rock, since it’s essentially a combination of the bluesy swagger and giddy hedonism of the Rolling Stones, the intensity and rebellion of late ’70s British punk, and the charging three-chord guitar riffs of good old-fashioned garage rock.

Here’s the thing. The Shys have the musical chops to combine these strengths of their classic rock heroes to create some catchy songs of their own. Sure, it has all been done before, but these guys perform their gritty-yet-melodic tunes with so much enthusiasm and energy that you will be having too much fun to care.

It certainly helps that lead singer/guitarist/principal songwriter Kyle Krone has crafted a solid set of tracks that serve as both faithful tributes to his hard rock heroes and examples of his ability to write three-minute chunks of rock ‘n’ roll awesomeness. His songs are not strikingly original, but like Noel Gallagher of Oasis, he has the ability to combine sounds from rock’s past into something wonderful.

The everything old is new again vibe of “Astoria” is even reflected in the kind of seemingly minor details that made this reviewer wish he had a copy of the album on vinyl rather than on a boring CD.

From the deliciously retro spare cover art and black- and-white photography to Dave Cobb’s production that gives the record a hard-edged yet full sound that is free of modern sheen, “Astoria” sounds, looks, and feels almost exactly like an album that was made more than 30 years ago.

The Shys literally come storming out of the gate on the opener “Never Gonna Die,” an up-tempo declaration of youthful defiance and celebration. It sounds like a more melodic Sex Pistols tune in some ways, although it is driven by exuberance and the joy of being alive rather than the Pistols’ nihilism.

The momentum created by the explosive “Never Gonna Die” carries over to the second track and first single “Call In The Calvary,” which introduced the Shys to a nationwide audience when it was featured on both the hit HBO series “En-tourage” and the MTV show “Fast, Inc.” On this brainstorm, Krone brings the rough riffs, drummer Mike Walker keeps the driving beats steady and powerful, and the band sounds like it is having the time of its lives when singing its chorus in unison.

The boys slow things a bit on the contemplative “Waiting On The Sun,” which is the type of rollicking let’s-have-fun-and-do-whatever song that makes room for another chorus sing-along by the band and a nice harmonica solo by keyboardist Alex Kweskin.

From here, the hard-driving rockers keep on coming. The title track is driven by post-punk-inspired angular guitars and Chris Wulff’s nimble bass work. “Two Cent Facts” features a catchy-as-hell guitar riff, tambourines, and even the immortal cowbell, that relic of ’70s album rock.

There’s even a let’s-take-over-the-airwaves-and-stick-it-to-the-establishment anthem appropriately titled “The Resistance.”

And, of course, the guys cap things off with an epic seven-minute jam session, “Open Up The Sky,” so that you can mellow out before the record comes to an end.

The Shys may not be doing anything new, but since their songs are so catchy and full of passion, does it really matter? “Astoria” is basically the sonic equivalent of Jack Daniel’s.

It has a classic flavor that never gets old, it is hard yet undeniably tasty and it leaves you feeling pretty damn good.