Uncategorized

And the band played on at The Pyramid

I’ve been a proud member of the Long Beach State Pep Band for about four years. I’ve been at almost every home game in The Walter Pyramid, whether it is men’s or women’s volleyball and men’s and women’s basketball.

I’ve seen many 49er athletics highs and lows, the we-almost-made-it-this-times and the what-ifs. I’ve even seen the rise and fall of beer sales in the big blue pyramid. I only wish I was 21 when it used to be sold. It would’ve made a great pick-me-up when The Beach was down, or even when we were winning.

I know I’m not a student-athlete here on scholarship, but despite that shortcoming I still feel like I’m part of something that is benefiting 49er athletics in a big way.

Surely you’ve heard the band if you’re one of the many who make it out to Beach home games. We’re that loud, obnoxious squad in the corner making all that noise. We wear the Hawaiian shirts.

We’re the ones taunting the other team and sometimes getting in trouble for it. “Ref, get off your knees. You’re blowin’ the game!”

There is also my personal favorite: yelling in unison “schpidoinkle” whenever a certain player on the opposing team hits the ball. Everyone looks at us funny when we do that.

Basically, the real deal is you’ll find most of the great side hecklers sitting with the band armed with a loud trombone and an even louder voice.

But with all our spirited efforts, I find myself asking if the athletes really notice. I’m pretty sure the crowd does, at least I hope it does.

But do the teams notice? Do the players notice our musical interludes, like before the buzzer sounds and the team is just a notch behind or ahead the band will play the famous theme from “Rocky?”

Does that pump them up?

I do know of, however, one team that always seems to notice the band and thanks us. Consequently, they’ve become my favorite team.

Thank you, men’s volleyball, for noticing us. As a gift, I think we’ll continue playing “BYOB” by System of a Down as you enter the court.

Go Beach!