Uncategorized

Pep rally welcomes students

Cal State Long Beach students attended the pep rally, the first event during Week of Welcome at the Southwest Terrace headlined by President F. King Alexander.

The crowd gave him a warm welcome as it cheered when he was introduced. The women’s volleyball and soccer teams were mentioned and introduced along with their records, 2-1 and 3-0, respectively. The track team was also mentioned. About 500 free burgers were given to students who wore their school attire.

Aside from the free food, the CSULB Dance Team as well as alternative band Foolproof performed at the pep rally. The dance team showed off their award-winning dance routines as they tossed shirts into the crowd. Foolproof played about five songs and sold shirts and CDs to students.

Some CSULB students had mixed feelings about the band. Sophomore microbiologist major Zech Mell said “its’ something to listen to,” while sophomore psychology major Donna Melton said ‘cool’ and that it was her ” kind of music.”

The whole event was “too short” said Juan Aguilar, a senior computer science major.

Week of Welcome includes the Organizational Fair on Wednesday and Thursday from 11 to 2 p.m. at the Southwest Terrace, and the Smorgasport from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m. Friday held at the north lawn.

Smorgasport is a special event which includes games, free pizza, music, student organization tables, a BMX demostration, appearance by 102.7, sports tournaments and giveaways. There is also free bowling, arcade and billiards in the University Student Union. Smorgasport will take place from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m. at the USU Games Center, USU North Lawn and the Gold Mine Gym.