Uncategorized

Long Beach makes quick work of Idaho

After sweeping St. Mary’s in three straight games Thursday night, the Long Beach State women’s volleyball team continued its hot play with a sweep over Idaho Saturday night in The Walter Pyramid.

Long Beach State did not exactly lay out the welcome mats for Idaho, which was a former member of the Big West Conference. The Beach easily beat the Vandals in three games, winning 30-23, 30-19 and 30-15.

Game one was the closest of the three. With Junior Iris Murray serving, LBSU jumped out to a quick 6-0 lead. Idaho then rallied to tie the score at 7. But junior Alexis Crimes and senior Robin Miramontes proved to be too much for Idaho, with each posting 5 kills in the opening game.

The Beach would go on to have little problems finishing off the Vandals in games two and three.

Crimes led the LBSU attack hitting 15 kills with a .417 attack percentage.

Sophomore Quincy Verdin had 10 kills and Miramontes added nine kills.

After being on the bench for most of the match Thursday, Nicole Vargas passed for 38 assists to lead The Beach. Murray led the team in digs with 16.

Head coach Brian Gimmillaro said he was happy with the victory but sees room for improvement.

“I’m happy we won but I expect to win. We did certain things well tonight, but we didn’t do everything well at the same time. But I felt we were in control of the match the whole time,” Gimmillaro said.

The Beach remains perfect against Idaho. LBSU holds an unblemished record of 16-0 against the Vandals all-time.

With the victory, Long Beach State improves to 7-2 overall. The Beach will host UNLV at The Walter Pyramid Sept. 15.