Uncategorized

Professors need to be more understanding

College is a time to blossom and figure out what you want to do with your life. The choices are yours, all yours. The process you go through to find out could be long or short. As you take class after class, you will encounter every kind of teacher on the spectrum: the hippie, the nazi or the cartoon character. Each one of these educators has various policies and methods for teaching classes with, each one designed to bring out your inner genius. But not everyone brings it out willingly.

Ever since preschool, I have had two personalities. I was the wallflower that would sit in the back, content with her crayons and apple juice. On the playground, I ruled my pack of friends with an iron fist.

Something about a teacher questioning me in front of all the other kids stirred fear in me, hence my desire to play the mute. I figured as long as I did the work and got good grades it would be enough. In high school the tables turned.

Much to my dismay, teachers began to put incredible emphasis on participation. I asked myself over and over again, why must I speak in front of my peers to prove my intelligence? Look at the words I write on paper and make the decision for yourself. I do not wish for my thoughts to be shared with 40 or more students who may or may not be quick to mock my ideas.

I recently did a serious analysis of my college career and realized that in more than a few of my classes, I went through the entire semester without saying a word.

Was I ashamed or afraid to speak my mind? Sometimes, yes. Not only was I skeptical that my answer could be wrong but I was also cautious of what kind of an effect my thoughts could have on others, i.e. strike a nerve with one of my fellow students or, God forbid, the teacher. I have never been the type to argue or debate a subject and I’m sure you’ve already figured out that I am rather anti-confrontational. I realize that we all need to grow-up sometime and stop being so darn scared of what people may think. True, that is the reasoning some of the time. But there are other occasions, several in fact, where I had prefered to keep my thoughts to myself.

My prerogative to keep quiet should in no way reflect my work ethic. If I am turning in my assignments on time, doing well on the tests and at the same time not discussing the material, I should not be perceived as less intelligent than anyone else in the class who chooses to talk about what I have learned.

To the teachers who push and shove for kids to speak up in their classes, please, be gentle with us. It is a new school year and there are new students fresh from home and don’t know a single soul in this institution. If they are not immediately willing to share their every idea with you and their classmates, it is not because they hate you or hate the class. They are simply adjusting to being in a new place or, like myself, are rather shy and intimidated in a classroom.

I am in no way against teachers who encourage their students to share their opinions with everyone, because these can and will spark debates that can help others who were unable to see it from a different perspective.

The question you must ask yourself is, am I really less intelligent because I sit in the back of the class, listening intently and writing down what I learn, as opposed to the student who always sits in the front and won’t shut up?

An outspoken nature does not equal a brilliant mind, nor does a quiet one equal confusion or a lack of comprehension. By telling me that I absolutely must speak up causes the opposite to happen: me to shrink back into my shell. If you don’t want to see your students unhappy and hiding from you, then leave the decision up to them to talk. They may just open up and say a word or two.

Krystle Ralston is a senior journalism major and the news editor for the Daily Forty-Niner.