Uncategorized

Why is it that Johnny Depp can do no wrong?

Johnny Depp is one of the finest actors ever, and one of the most original, too. It seems that whatever he does, people praise him for it and rightfully so. He is one of the few actors that can excellently play any role imaginable, from “Edward Scissorhands,” to “What’s Eating Gilbert Grape,” to the druggy, rebel characters in “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas,” “Blow” and now the “Pirates of the Caribbean” trilogy.

He is 43 years old, middle aged, about the same age as Charlie Sheen, but for some reason almost every girl would love to be with Depp, not Sheen. Perhaps that is because of Sheen’s past of drug abuse and sleeping with many women, but then again, Depp’s is not much better. What can I say, Johnny Depp can do no wrong.

When Johnny Depp moved to France, because Hollywood did not have the artistic integrity it once had, no one minded. He thought it was a better atmosphere than the United States. Yeah, that is the same France that Americans hated so much that for a while, French fries were called freedom fries. Yet, Americans still loved him.

When Mel Gibson got pulled over for drunk driving and told the media of his past alcoholic abuse a few months ago, it was all over the news. It was a huge fiasco. You could not go anywhere without hearing about it. Depp meanwhile has had a party lifestyle, and has been engaged to many women including Wynona Ryder, Kate Moss, Jennifer Grey, and more. He has made a scene in public numerous times, many of those leading to arrests. He has also admitted to past drug and alcohol abuse, but still, no one seems to mind.

And whomever Johnny Depp befriends, it only makes him better. It is widely known that he is friends with Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards. Depp, after all, based his Jack Sparrow character on Richards, who still indulges in drugs and alcohol.

Depp was also good friends with gonzo journalist Hunter S. Thompson, whom he played in “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.” Thompson was widely known for his drug abuse, and committed suicide a few years ago. Depp also befriended a big time drug dealer whom Depp plays in the movie “Blow.” But what all this has done has added credibility to Johnny Depp’s bad boy, rebel image.

Basically, what I am trying to say is that Depp is not perfect and has made some mistakes that he has yet to pay for. That has a lot to do with his image. And image can go a long way, especially in the United States.

Many actors, like Charlie Sheen or Mel Gibson, have made the same mistakes and have paid dearly for it, always being reminded of their past. But all Depp’s past does is make him stronger. He even has been on good terms with moral America as Depp has recently settled down, stopping his partying lifestyle and is about to marry his French girlfriend, Vanessa Paradis, whom they have two kids together. He is more popular than ever in society as the bad boy is now learning some manners.

He has accomplished the status of being Johnny Depp through two main factors: great acting and good looks. He is not only a great actor but one that is willing to play any role and unique ones too.

Perhaps that is why he hangs around with a rebel crowd, because it seems he bases his characters on them. And he does such a good job playing these freakishly eccentric outcasts with such flamboyant appearances and mannerisms that you cannot help but be in awe of him. His overall style is also unique. 50 years ago, Depp would probably be frowned upon but in this millennium it is good to see someone different while at the same time talented like Depp. I think that is how most of United States views him too.

Enjoy it while you can Johnny, it might not last forever.

Daniel Macri is a junior film major and a weekly columnist for theDaily Forty-Niner.