CinemAttack! will be more than a typical movie theater experience

For the past 20 years, the Art Theater on 4th Street has been a host to numerous midnight B-film shenanigans that bring out movie-enthusiasts, and this Friday evening will be no different with a new production company, CinemAttack!.

CinemAttack! is showing its second screening, featuring the B-film “The Scott Pilgrim Picture Show” with the added Rocky Horror treatment.

Originally, “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” was the pioneering film to start the tradition of midnight screenings with a live shadow cast and fan participation. While “The Scott Pilgrim Picture Show” won’t include a live shadow cast, there will be audience interaction and live bands playing throughout the film, along with prizes and garlic bread.

Tyler Jacobs, founder of CinemAttack!, said he hopes to include a live shadow cast in the near future and has spoken to cast members from the Long Beach Rocky Horror troupe.
Originally, Edgar Wright produced the film version of Bryan Lee O’Malley’s graphic novel, “Scott Pilgrim.”

The story focuses on a Canadian bass guitarist named Scott Pilgrim who falls in love with a delivery girl, Ramona Flowers.
Throughout the film, Pilgrim has to battle out Ramona’s “seven evil exes” who are determined to kill him. The film includes video game qualities like a “1 up” for an extra life Pilgrim needs, light sabers and bright, flashing words like “kapow.”

When “Scott Pilgrim vs. The World” was originally released, it was not successful in redeeming its original production budget. Despite its failure economically, it was still widely received as a successful film entertainment-wise and has accumulated a cult following.

Before Jacobs started working on CinemAttack!, he worked on shows like “The Aquabats! Super Show!” and “Yo Gabba Gabba!” alongside his brother, Christian Jacobs. Tyler Jacobs has now created his own production company, showcasing cult films that have potential of garnering a larger following throughout the Orange County and Long Beach area.

“I’ve worked on shows with my brother, but I wanted to see what I could do on my own,” Tyler Jacobs said. “I’ve always had a huge passion for movies since I was young, and I wanted to create an event that’s much more than simply going to the movies.”

The production company kick started its first screening on May 31 with a screening of an old school, 2-Tone ska film, “Dance Craze” at the Art Theater. Along with this screening, cinematographer Joe Dunton joined the event and participated in a Q&A, DJ Lawless played a collection of classic tracks, and dancing and singing where encouraged throughout the entire screening.

Despite the vibrant Orange County ska music scene, Tyler Jacobs said only half of the Art Theater venue was occupied. While he was hoping for a greater outcome, he expects to have higher turnouts as word spreads about CinemAttack! and more events are planned for the future.

“Since we’re just starting out, we’re planning to have an event each month,” Tyler Jacobs said. “We’ll also be showing ‘Dance Craze’ again at The Egyptian once we have everything put together because there were a few minor problems when we showed it at the Art Theater due to the quality of the film.”

A screening of “The Scott Pilgrim Picture Show” has never been done before, and CinemAttack! encourages all to join in on the battle of fending off Ramona’s seven evil exes. Tickets are available for purchase at cinemattack.net or the Art Theater for $17 in advance and will be $20 the day of the show. For further information visit cinemattack.net or facebook.com/cinemattackproductions.