GLAMFA brings bizarre contemporary art to the CSULB gallery

The 8th annual Greater Los Angeles Master of Fine Arts Exhibition is featured in all five of the School of Art galleries at CSULB, showcasing a variety of art in many different mediums.  
GLAMFA opened on Aug. 27 and will continue until Sept. 6. All students are welcome to browse the galleries for free and speak to the artists about their projects.
Two of the pieces in the exhibition are by artist Jorin Bossen from Claremont University.
Both of his works, “There’s No Escape for Any Man” and “Face Down in the Desert Sand,” are oil and acrylic on canvas paintings with a western theme.
Digital artist Austin Dickson from University of Las Vegas had two prints that caught students’ eyes.
Senior art education major Charlene Guhit said she liked Dickson’s work, “Carlsjr06.mp4 (00:25:12-00:30:00).”
“I like it, because it’s condensed in the top and falls apart as it gets lower,” she said. “Even though it is a digital print, it has the feeling of a paintbrush, like it could be painted.”
Senior studio art major Erik Dowling said he also found the piece intriguing.
“It was definitely interesting. All the pixels flowed together, it made an interesting composition,” Dowling said.
Dickson presents his style again in his other piece, “NCAAfinals90.xvid (03:01:09-03:08:09).”
The piece has a horizontal orientation, as opposed to Carlsjr06.mp4 (00:25:12-00:30:00)’s vertical orientation.
The gallery features more than only paintings and digital prints. Also presented in the exhibition are high definition videos, linen, a blanket, and even concrete.
Flora Kao’s “Blanket,” a 6-by-7 blanket made of moss and thread, has a green moss color, and the thread is more apparent when looked at up close.
The gallery is open Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from noon to 4 p.m. and Wednesday from noon to 7 p.m.
The art galleries are located between the Fine Arts Buildings 1 and 2.