Splinter Cell Blacklist has killer features

Sometimes, you’ve just gotta go incognito.

The new game in the Splinter Cell series, Blacklist, does a lot to remedy the repetitive and easy feeling set by the last game in the series, Splinter Cell Conviction. The new game returns to its roots to present a welcoming package, while allowing the player to do what they’ve never been able to do before.

Blacklist stars you as the Upper Echelon agent, Sam Fisher, who was chosen to take down a terrorist organization’s plot to destroy U.S. landmarks. The organization will continue its efforts until the U.S. removes all soldiers from other countries under U.S. “protection.” The organization’s first target was a U.S. base in Washington D.C., but before it succeeds in destroying others, Fisher has to stop them by using every possible means.

Blacklist has a system that allows you to take on any challenge however the gamer sees fit. Players can go through a level guns blazing, or take their time planning out how to get through without being noticed. The system is well crafted, and insures each gamer has a different experience.

The player may take a variety of approaches. In some missions, you can utilize a silent style of playing, using sleeping gas and silent weapons to get to one’s goal. There’s nothing more exhilarating than hanging from a ledge, whistling to bring enemies closer, then throwing them off of a building.

For those who prefer to run through as a more direct approach, the game doesn’t restrict players from doing so.

One of the best factors in the game is how many options players have at their disposal at any one time. Using a weapon wheel to select weapons offered a smooth experience that was tweaked to allow for a quick selection mid-combat, so that playing wasn’t hindered.

This game’s attention to detail is in line with developer, Ubisoft’s, normal offerings. The Locals, voice acting, and character design are spot on. Sam Fisher, the main character, looks amazing moving through the levels. Side characters receive a little less of a graphical look, but the sheer size and depth of the game more than compensates for the graphics.

Blacklist has a great single player story, and it also includes a robust multiplayer component. Gamers have the option of co-op, where they can take control Fisher and his partner, Briggs, allowing two people to play together and take down the terrorists as a team.

Competitive modes are also abundant. Players have the option of “team deathmatch,” and “Spies vs. Mercs,” where one team tries to hack into a computer mainframe while the other tries to stop them. This variety in game types will ensure lasting entertainment for people who complete the main game.

Overall, Blacklist presents a well-rounded package for hardcore fans since the first game in the series, and those new to the series. It gets rid of the action-heavy gameplay of the last game, and gives players a balance between a silent spy approach, and a guns-blazing style of gameplay. It has some visual hiccups here and there, but nothing to distract from the gaming experience.

Any fan of tactical action games will find that this a worthy addition to his or her library.