Gamers anticipate E3’s return

The Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) returns with new games and technology that will revolutionize the way we look at electronic entertainment through the next year.

This year’s E3 will have a greater focus on software arriving to new gaming consoles on the market. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are set to headline E3 with their yearly press conferences. They will highlight upcoming games and technology and discuss the futures of their respective consoles.

Microsoft will kick off the event with their press conference on June 9th at 9:30 a.m. In the past Microsoft received criticism for focusing on television and music services, now they have decided to place more focus on the games offered. With upcoming games like Sunset Overdrive, developed by Insomniac Games, to Halo 5: Guardians, Microsoft is set to make a comeback in the console race which is currently lead by Sony’s PlayStation 4.

Sony has made headlines with the record-breaking sales of their new PlayStation 4, according to an article on IGN, which notes the PS4 is the fastest selling console ever in the U.K. Sony’s conference will begin on June 9, 2014 at 6 p.m..  They are in a position to capitalize on their early success and drive momentum with a compelling conference. Sony has a stable of exclusive developers and support from indie game developers.

Their diverse assortment of games have the potential to draw in consumers with a wide set of interest. After obtaining the game-streaming giant, Gaikai, Sony has revealed plans to showcase their new service, PlayStation Now. This service will grant users the ability to stream PlayStation games across all Sony devices without the need for a dedicated gaming device. Sony has taken the lead in sales in mere months since it debuted its console, Wii U.

After struggling to gain sales for the past year, Nintendo has the most riding on this year’s E3. Lack of power, 3rd party support and games in general have led to troubling times for the company. Another article by IGN reported, that in a recent talk with company investors, the President of Nintendo and CEO Satoru Iwata said, “one game can change the fate of the Wii U just like Pokémon did for the Gameboy.” Nintendo is known for their surprises at E3, which has seen significant success in the past. Little is known about what they plan to reveal, but promises of a new Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros. are being anticipated.

Sony and Microsoft will have their events at the Los Angeles Convention Center, while Nintendo, has decided to broadcast their event exclusively online through “Nintendo Direct,” an online streaming service provided by Nintendo.  Each conference will be available through live streams through gaming sites such as IGN and GameSpot. These sites will also stream other showcases on the E3 show floor.

Anonymous

There is a mistake in the fifth paragraph. It ends of saying Sony debuted the Wii U. That is incorrect because the Wii U is Nintendo’s product.