LA Pride creates a hub for a myriad of people

LA Pride returned on June 6 through June 8, showcasing three days of fun, music, games and a parade to celebrate lesbian, gay, bisexual and transsexual pride down the streets of Santa Monica Boulevard.

The event featured celebrity guest Demi Lovato as the parade’s grand marshal; Lovato performed her song “Really Don’t Care.” Opponents of the LGBT community protested at the event with signs that read “Homo Sex is Sin,” to which Lovato said, “I believe in the Lord, and I am still up for equality. You don’t have to hate because my Jesus loves all”.

Lovato was not the only mainstream singer to grace the audience with her presence. Jennifer Hudson showed her support for the LGBT community by performing songs such as her single “Spotlight” at West Hollywood Park on Saturday.

The festival portion of the event provided attendees with three separate stages for different artists like Azealia Banks, and groups like Kingdoms and The Bangles, which performed throughout the day.

A skating rink in West Hollywood Park was opened up to the public, and people joined in on the fun by sporting their best rollerblading gear.

Erotic paintings, movies, sculptures and other forms of art were also displayed at the West Hollywood Park.

Vendors and shops were set up in tents around the park selling t-shirts, and handing out free energy drinks, beads and candy.

LA Pride gathered attention from around the world with some attendees flying to the United States to participate in the event.

Denmark native, Nicklas Von Eckendorff, said he was blown away by the diversity found at the event.

“In Denmark, it is not so multi-cultural there as it is here,” Eckendorff said. “I love seeing the diversity here and it is nice to see all types of people participating.”

Participants Rebecca Lin, a Northridge native, said she felt that the event helped promote the community.

“Well, here you have a lot of straight people as well, celebrating along with the gay community,” Lin said. “I think that this will bring more exposure for the LGBT community, and will help send their message out there to a wider audience.”

While there were some areas that were meant for adult audience, the West Hollywood Park also featured some family-oriented sections, like a carnival and an arcade.

The next Pride event in California will take place in San Francisco on June 28 to 29 at the city’s Civic Center.