Red, White and Fun

The most patriotic time of the year is upon us, and there are many places you can visit on the Fourth of July in Long Beach to celebrate.

“All-American Fourth of July” is aboard the Queen Mary with live music, family-friendly activities and fireworks show at the end of the night.  It takes place from noon to 11 p.m.

The event requires tickets, which are $40 for an adult and $20 for a child. Dinner is not included, but the Queen Mary will offer food Gatsby Grand Buffet inside. The prices for VIP passes are $60 for adult and $40 for a child. VIP experience includes a premium view of the best fireworks in Southern California, exclusive access to the Red Room, White Patio and Blue Deck.

The “July 4th Late Night and BBQ” at the Aquarium of the Pacific will consist of fireworks, freshly grilled BBQ and, of course, aquatic sea life.  The main event occurs from 5 to 10 p.m., and the BBQ takes place from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.  The BBQ costs $48 for adults and $20 for children aged three to 11. If you’re a member of the aquarium, you are in luck, as tickets are $38 for adults and $15 for children.  During the late night hours, entrance for the aquarium is $14.95 for everyone after 5 p.m. and members of the aquarium are granted free admission, however, this does not include food.

The “Bluff Heights Block Party” is an all-day block party at Vista Street from 12:30 to 6 p.m.  This event has many games, contests, the Patriotic Pooch Parade and the Bike Rodeo.  The event is free.

The “California Gardens Fourth of July Concert” will have patriotic, boogie-woogie and rock ‘n’ roll music from atop the highest accessible peak in Long Beach. Bring your picnic baskets, chairs and blankets and hang around the peak.  The event is free and starts at 7 p.m. and offers a view of the Pacific Ocean.

The “Sky Room’s 4th of July Celebration” is a perfect place to view fireworks with oceanside vantage points in the historic Sky Room atop The Breakers Building in Long Beach.  Dinner is served in the restaurant starting at 5:30 p.m., and the rooftop bar opens at 6 p.m.  Happy hour is available all night.  It is recommended to call for reservations, and price ranges from $30 to $50 per person.

If don’t like what you see on land, then venture to the sea to enjoy the fourth. The annual “Red, White and Blue Cruises” will cruise within the Long Beach Harbor and offers live R&B music by Len Rainey and The Midnight Players. Afterward, you can enjoy the Queen Mary Fireworks. Drinks and snacks will also be available. Boarding starts at 7:15 p.m. and departure is at 8 p.m. Tickets range from $14.50 to $29.50.

Another event to consider is Alfredo’s Beach Club Summer Beach Party which takes place at Belmont Veterans Memorial Pier from 10 a.m. until 10 p.m.  It features Zen Robbi, Red Eye Redemption, Uncle Johnnie’s Playhouse, DJ Easy M and many more.  The cost is $10, and kids are free with a paying adult.

Locals surrounding Cal State Long Beach are known for gathering on the top of the parking structures to catch a glimpse of some fireworks as well. No matter how you spend Independence Day, be safe and have fun.