‘The Giver’ takes you for a ride

The beloved Newbery Award-winning book “The Giver,” written by Louis Lowry in 1993, has been adapted to the big screen.
If you have read and enjoyed reading Lowry’s book, you will most likely enjoy the movie because it is an entertaining representation of the characters and story.

Jonas (Brenton Thwaites) is a 12-year-old boy who lives in a colorless, black-and-white, utopian community that controls the emotions and actions of its citizens. In this world there are strict rules, and there is a sense of sameness and equality in the community.

The thoughts inspired by the utopian community are absorbing, and the film makes a lot of points to ponder about. Food for thought eventually leads to satisfying events that grab the full attention of the audience.
At the annual Ceremony of Twelve, Jonas has a gift and curse; he must be the Receiver of the Memories of the past to preserve the government’s status quo. He learns about secrets of true pain and joy in the community and why it was created. If the Community’s elders need advice, they approach the Receiver. Jonas receives memories of an old man called The Giver (Jeff Bridges).

Pain, war, suffering, differences, free thought, lies and music are forbidden from the world. This creates a supposedly perfect community. The Giver teaches Jonas about the unfortunate truths of the “real” world, and Jonas realizes that his community is fake. This leads to a decision about his life and the future.

Jonas is exposed to the joy and pain that exists. The film reinforces the importance and value of both. The counterbalance ultimately leads to a fulfilling and worthwhile life despite agony involved.
The powerful emotions of pleasure and pain both exist in life, but we need both in order to recognize the true value of the human experience.
Overall, the movie had very intriguing ideas , was engaging to the mind and it was visually entertaining as well.