Long Beach Car show returns

The annual Long Beach Ronald McDonald Car and Motorcycle Show returned for the second time, on Sept. 13, at the back lot of the Long Beach Convention Center and at the Rainbow Lagoon.

Car and motorcycle owners had over 250 vehicle displays, including classic cars, trucks, motorcycles and specialty vehicles.

The show’s proceeds benefitted the Long Beach Ronald McDonald House, which is a “home-away-from-home” for families of children undergoing treatment for cancer and other life-threatening illnesses at hospitals and medical facilities, according to its website.

Attendee Ruben Cesena returned to the car show this year and was excited to see vehicles showcased.

“The 2005 Harley-Davidson Softail Deluxe motorcycle and 1951 Chevy Convertible Powerglide Deluxe are black cherry color,” said Cesena. “I love the originality of the car.”

He also said he was surprised by the value of the vehicles. The Chevy Convertible Powerglide Deluxe was $1,900 when it was brand new in 1951, but now it’s worth approximately $68,000. The Harley-Davidson Softail Deluxe was $22,000 when it was new, and now it’s about $45,000.

Tyler Cooper, another attendee, proudly displayed his 1957 Crew Cab Cruiser with an $18,000 retail price when it was new. The market value of that car is currently around $60,000.

“I bring a different car every year and collect cars as a hobby,” Cooper said.

Although it was an unusually small area for a car show, the entertainment appealed to people with various interests.

There were booths with accessories, music, food, car show awards and raffles, including drawings valued up to $1,000.

Action Sports Kids Foundation, a Long Beach non-profit organization that empowers youth through sports, education, art and community, hosted a skate and BMX demo.