Aiming High shoots Low

The music video for “Habits (Stay High)” shows a fish-eye perspective that follows a twenty-something girl through a night of shots, dancing and making out with girls and strangers in bathrooms.

The music video ends with the sad, intoxicated heroine crawling into her apartment and passing out in her unmade bed; the stumbling-drunk, mascara-run and distressed gypsy is Tove Lo.

Unfortunately, her debut album is anything but a cure for a hangover.

Tove Ebba Elsa Nilsson, 26, singer and songwriter from Stockholm, Sweden. Her tattoo-ridden, goth look juxtaposes her fun, yet dark, songwriting.

Her first EP “Truth Serum” was released on March 3. The release included the single “Habits (Stay High)” that peaked at number seven on Billboard’s Top 100.

Her debut album “Queen of the Clouds” contains more attempts at songwriting than beautifully depressing hymns. It takes bravery to write catchy songs about the deepest, darkest part of your relationship.

Tove Lo’s songs are soulful pop ballads, but her recent mainstream status counteracts her depth.

“Queen of the Clouds” tells the story of a relationship and is organized into three parts: “The Sex,” “The Love” and “The Pain.”

Other than the hit, “Habits (Stay High),” some other noticeable tracks on the debut album include “Thousands Miles,” the newly released single “Not On Drugs” and “Moments,” in which she sings, “Not the flawless one, I’ve never been / But I have my moments, I have my moments.”

The rest of the tracks fall flat and should end up on the skip-list.

So many alternative-electro artists are popping up on the radar that it is hard to find a group or artist that sounds unique. Tove Lo is not an anomaly; she is just the same as her counterparts.

Listeners of Ellie Goulding, Charli XCX and Lorde will enjoy Tove Lo’s poppy beats. Her honest lyrics and struggling allure drape across all pop singers today.

“Queen of the Clouds” appeals to the young pop-lovers ears with karaoke numbers and songs to send to your ex; however, only time will tell if she writes another gem like “Habits (Stay High).”