Alumni dancing home

To extend the celebration of the twentieth anniversary that the master of fine arts program celebrated in spring 2014, the fine arts department invited choreographer alumni to produce “Homecoming: An Alumni Dance Concert.”

“In many ways this concert is about us acknowledging and honoring the alumni that have come from our program, and recognizing them as an important part of our education legacy,” Lorin Johnson, the concert director, said.

Johnson said the main goal of the concert is to present a high-quality dance performance in both production and design. The press release describes the concert as “vigorous, imaginative and poetic.”

Current graduate and undergraduate students will be dancing in the four performances choreographed by alumni as well as the premiere performance by MFA candidate and choreographer, Kathleen Helm. Her performance, “Romp Show,” explores “reputation, rivalry, aggression and egotism” in the victory and defeat of competitive sports, according to the release.

The alumni performances are “Hereafter,” by Kim T. Davis (master’s in Dance, 2002); “Together We Ride,” by Bobby Avalos (bachelor’s in Dance, 2011); “Wade,” by Jessica Kondrath (master’s in Dance, 2012); and “Fireline,” by Delyer Anderson (bachelor’s in Dance, 2004).

Helm will close the show, and current students will dance in alumni performances, which Johnson said links past and present students together in order to showcase the talent that the department has produced through the years.

“It is very exciting to bring together generations of choreographers with such strong artistic skills and passions for dance, and this concert allows us to acknowledge them through presenting their most recent work,” Johnson said. “We have long prided ourselves on our educational and mentoring work in dance composition with our dance majors.”

The department has been working on the production for six months, starting with reviewing choreographer applications in spring. Johnson said he expects a full house. He said the concert is a good way for students to get hands on experience in creating a show from start to finish.

“It is our hope that through performing in our concerts they are gaining invaluable skills to take into the professional arena following graduation,” Johnson said.

The college of the arts and department of dance will be hosting the concert. Show times are on Thursday and Friday at 8 p.m., and Saturday at 2 p.m. and at 8 p.m. in the Martha B. Knoebel Dance Theater. General admission tickets are $20.