Joking around in Long Beach.

Ricky Carmona, Nick Malis and T.K. Kelly, who are all writers, comics and actors on Tosh.O, will be performing together in Long Beach.

Nick Malis is the head writer and supervising producer of Tosh.O, and Ricky Carmona is the head production assistant and contributing writer for Tosh.O.

Contributing writer and blogger for Tosh.O, T.K. Kelly, has also been a writer for Funny or Die, The Chive and Second City This Week.

The three comedians will perform at the Long Beach Laugh Factory as a part of their THREEZUS standup comedy tour on Nov. 12, at 8 p.m.

The Daily 49er caught up with T.K. Kelly and talked about his comedy and contributions to the show.

Q: How did you start working at Tosh.O?

TKK: I had interned at Comedy Central a while back and kept in touch with a lot of people I met there. They have since kept up with my standup and what I was up to, and gave me the heads up when Tosh was hiring, because they thought I’d be a good fit. I submitted a writing packet to the show, and they liked it enough to bring me on. So be cool to the people you meet, they could eventually be the ones to help you land a job.

Q: What is your favorite aspect of your job?

TKK: I get paid to write jokes. The fact that this is a job is still insane to me. I love it, and not a lot of people can say that. I also like the amount of random show-used dildos I find around the office. Because who doesn’t love a surprise?

Q: What is a typical day at work like?

T.K. Kelly: My time is split between posting on the Tosh.O Blog and writing jokes for the show. Some days also include acting in bits for the show and researching videos. All days include eating too much of the free sh-t they have for us at the office.

Q: What other jobs have you held?

TKK: I had lots of random jobs before I finally got into comedy. I started out working a regular office job, but that quickly drove me insane so I wound up bar tending, waiting tables, delivering film equipment and doing any freelance writing I could. I did whatever would tide me over so I could keep pursuing to what I really wanted to do. Except whoring, didn’t do any of that.

Q: What made you want to be a writer?

TKK: As a kid, I always loved comedy. TV, movies, standup and any way I could absorb [comedy]. It took me 26 years to finally commit and make a go of it, but I always knew it was the only job besides intergalactic smuggler that I’d be happy doing.

Q: Who influenced you?

TKK: Biggest influence is my dad. He was always the funny guy, and I saw how much people loved that. It made me want to make people laugh.

Q: What advice do you have for writers?

TKK: Work your ass off. Keep working on the face of rejection. Not everyone is willing to really put in the work that’s necessary, so be the person who does. Also, be really funny, it helps.

1. Pingback: Joking around in Long Beach | Ronna White