Triple-stamping a cult classic

Whether they are box-office blowouts or major flops, sequels have earned a tabooed reputation in the film industry. Walking down the aisle to the red, velvet seat, you lean back for the feature presentation, knowing this will either pick you up or let you down.

In consideration of comedic classics like the original Dumb and Dumber, which has spawned a cult following of its own, sequels can be a touchy subject. Fortunately, for the Farrelley brothers, their second take against intelligence is stupid good.

On Tuesday, the University Student Union Program Council hosted the premiere of “Dumb and Dumber To” in the Beach Auditorium at Cal State Long Beach.

After 20 long years, which marks the real-time break since the original film’s release in 1994, Lloyd Christmas (Jim Carrey) comes out of a wheel chair confined, brain-dead state farce with the loud, obnoxious punch line of “GOTCHA!”

His best-bud Harry Dunne (Jeff Daniels), who had been caring—changing his diapers—for the entirety of the past two decades, revels in the genius of the joke then reveals a serious health condition.

This then sends the dim-witted duo to take on the road once more in an array of ridiculous rides when Harry discovers he’s a dad, according to a postcard through years of neglected mail.

The film is filled with recycled jokes that are redone with vengeance. Billy from apartment C, the bland apartment furnished with all of two chairs and a girly poster and even the Mutt Cutts “shaggin’ wagon” return for one last hurrah.

The big humor, often done with off-color, school-boyish crass, was tastefully done, all things considered.

Despite being a sequel, “Dumb and Dumber To” can easily stand on its own.

One of the most genius decisions made was to play in to the passing of time and doing so for the sake of Lloyd’s prank.

The idiosyncrasy of Carrey and Daniels portraying their roles initially came off a bit rusty. This potential hiccup actually ended up plugging into the plot since their characters had not communicated in 20 years.

Within a matter of 10 minutes of the film, the two had seemingly rekindled their onscreen bond— James Bond – and the viewer could once more recognize Harry and Lloyd at their best.

Before the screening, program council representatives gave out two Dumb and Dumber inspired Christmas sweaters for the lucky winners of a social media selfie challenge and a quick-draw trivia question.

About 200 students filled the room for the second advanced screening held at CSULB.

The best aspect of the film, as with any form of the arts, had to do with its apparent affect on the audience. Howling outbursts of laughter, approving applause and ‘oh no he didn’t’ gasps were some of the reactions that sporadically filled the room.

The escapist demeanor made it easy to get lost in the loveable, idiotic characters and, dare I say it, fart jokes.

“[Movies] like that are stupid, but they make me happy,” Tony Butte, a senior nutrition major, said.

The crowd exited the Beach auditorium still laughing. Wide smiles and high-fives were exchanged. The occasional remark of “so funny” or ”that was hilarious” echoed from student to student.

“Dumb and Dumber To’s official release date in theaters is Nov. 14.