Banking big with “Expensive Taste”

The debut album by Azealia Banks has finally dropped without notice, and the release was worth the wait.

Her debut single “212,” was released in 2011, and it feels strange to finally hear the track on the debut album by Banks titled “Broke with Expensive Taste.”

The songwriter, singer and rapper has been making music since 2010, and over the course of her career, she has released 14 music videos.  She is probably more notoriously known for her fights online than her music, which is unfortunate, because she can make music that is just as badass as her twitter rants.

She has been busy – with a lot of things – but making an album hasn’t been at the top of her list. Despite her mixed priorities, Banks managed to deliver a revitalizing sound that reevaluates and proves her talents as a musician.

Throughout, the most obvious influence is a new genre dubbed seapunk, which is a combination of ‘90s-esque music like: house music, rap, trap and pop.

Along with debut single “212,” previously released tracks “BBD” and “Luxury” were also included on the album, which features 13 new tracks.

Old tracks flow well with the new ones. This combo shows listeners what they always wanted from Banks, but never knew they wanted it. Even though it might be tiresome for some people’s ears to include songs that are years old, the tracks are just as catchy now as when they were first released.

Most songs combine her silky vocals with rough and tough rap flair.

“Idle Delilah” starts off the album slowly. It’s almost impossible to know exactly what she is saying sometimes, but like all songs on the album, her rebellious attitude is what stands out most.

The second track, “Gimme a Chance,” is a perfect thesis statement for the rest of the album.

The middle of the song breaks into a salsa tune, and the lyrics are sung completely in Spanish; fittingly by giving providing this jarring change in genres on the track, listeners will want to give the rest of the album a chance.

The track also features blazing horns that introduce the salsa, and at times it even resembles the danceable genre of reggaeton.

Overall, it’s not necessarily what you would expect from Banks, but then again, it’s hard to know what to expect from Banks.

One of the tracks, “Desperado,” goes deep into the ‘90s by sampling a familiar sound anyone who ever had dial-up Internet connection would remember. It mirrors the harsh reflection of her online persona.

The buggy phone lines and dial tones coat this dance track, which also uses elements of jazz and airy electronic reggae.

The only problem with the album is that it took her so long to release it, but maybe it’s for a good reason – the release might have been ahead of its time for a young Banks.

However, at only 23 years old, Banks still has much more potential to explore and create; this release is superb, and her next release could be even better if she would only spend half as much time ranting online, and more time making music.