TV on the Radio plants new seeds

TV on The Radio went through a rough time after the death of their bassist; now with their first album since 2011, the band emerges from gloom and finds optimism.

“Seeds” their fifth studio album for the band since their last album “Nine Types of Light” which was released on April 11, 2011, nine days before the death of Gerard Smith.

After his death, it was unclear whether the band would continue to make music, but now the hiatus is over and the transformation is surprising.

The band is not unfamiliar with creating dark music, but instead of anger and frustration the band chose to express itself in a way that is uplifting, and vivid through the darkness.

While at times the music seems specific to Smith’s death, the concept of love is dispersed throughout the album most.

The first song “Careful You” begins with French lyrics, “Oui, je t’aime / A demain, a la prochaine, ” which translates into “Yes, I love you / Tomorrow, and the next.”

The music sounds like a hungry heart trying its best not to miss any beats, the pace of the song struggles on purpose paired with the music that is emotionally charged.

The song continues with lyrics like “I Know it’s best to say goodbye / But I can’t seem to move away,” and even more relevant to the themes learned from mourning “From the cradle to the grave / You have done a number to my heart / And things will never be the same.”

It’s evident that the loss of Smith influenced what the band has chosen to sing about, but it does not hold grudges against him. The events have even inspired the band to move the pain over to relationships and songs about romantic partners.

If TV on the Radio made pop music, “Seeds” would be their version of a pop album as love and heartbreak are the most prevalent themes.

But, to say that they have gone pop would be an overstatement as the band still manages to deliver their groovy art-rock that takes time for ears to get used to.

“Quartz” jingles with a puzzling atmosphere and confesses love but also admits that love is not eternal.

“How much do I love you / How hard must we try / To set into motion / A love divine,” are sang in a matter that is perky.

As the song progresses things take a turn, frontman Tunde Adebimpe wails, “I should really give it up sometime / Should’ve know, couldn’t last forever.

The experience is an emotional ride; at times, it is even heartening as the bands loss is never bitter or painful to listen to. While some of the lyrics carry the weight of fallen friends, TV on the Radio’s sound is still full of life.