Covering up She & Him’s Talents

She & Him have returned with cover songs; they ditched the holiday theme this time, and made music that is not quite as sweet as apple cider.

Actress Zooey Deschanel and indie folk musician M. Ward are the members of the pop duo She & Him. Their fifth studio album titled “Classics” was recorded live with a 20-piece orchestra and features 13 covers of classic songs.

Cover songs are always tough to judge; this is the second time the group has themed an album, and it’s a crutch.

The album begins with “Stars Fell on Alabama,” a jazz standard from 1934 composed by Frank Perkins with lyrics by Michell Parish.

With the success of “New Girl,” it has become clear that Deschanel has had to focus time on all the episodes a season, but not music.

Sonically, there is nothing terrible about the album; in fact, most tracks are warm and comforting, but there is no novelty to the release – it’s lazy.

Also while it’s not a holiday album in any sense, the music that begins the experience is cheerful and merry like a certain time of the season they kissed under the mistletoe before with 2011’s “A Very She & Him Christmas.”

Ward provides back-up vocals for “Stars Fell on Alabama” behind Deschanel, but often is separate and distant from his counter part.

He also provides a faint shadow on “Time After Time;” his most notable performance comes from the song “She” originally by Charles Azavour.

Ward takes the lead in the song and will immediately grab the listener’s attention. The song is smothered in the middle of the album and is the perfect break from all the vocals provided by Deschanel at the beginning of the album.

This is the only song where Ward’s voice is dominant, which is unfortunate as he executes the cover well. More variety and interchangeability between Deschanel and Ward would have been appreciated.

The cover of the album is sleek – simply black, white and red; it resembles something from another decade when pin up models were all the rage.

Throughout the album, the covers range all the way from the ‘30s with songs like “Would you Like to Take a Walk With Me,” and all the way to the to ‘70s with “She.”

It would be unfair give the group credit and say this is really new music by She & Him, because the album is composed of covers songs.

Covering “classic” songs does not mean they are well known. For some who listen to the album, the tracks will actually be new songs that will allow the listener to explore older tunes.

Deschanel steals the spotlight with her soothing voice; it marks for a sweet return for the duo, but something original would have been easier to digest.