Love is ‘Everything’

“The Theory of Everything” is a tear-jerker, but the film is ultimately an uplifting tale about a man who beats the odds with the incredible support from the one he loves.

Although “The Theory of Everything” is not a documentary, the actors’ performances give it that feel, as if we are taken back in time to a time before Stephen Hawking, when a theory of the birth of time didn’t exist.

Director James Marsh provides a stellar, breathtaking glimpse into the progression of Hawking’s disease with Tony Award-winning Eddie Redmayne who crawls under Hawking’s skin.

Redmayne’s extraordinary portrayal of the theoretical physicist, cosmologist and author provides an inspirational lens into a unique battle that will pull the heartstrings of moviegoers.

While attending Cambridge University, after being told he had two years to live upon diagnosis of a motor neuron disease similar to ALS, Hawking found comfort in his girlfriend and soon-to-be-wife Jane Wilde.

Felicity Jones beautifully portrays Jane alongside Redmayne. The performances are almost better than the film itself, packing a mean punch that elegantly illustrates Jane’s strength and determination to cure Stephen from his disease.

Audiences will sympathizes with Jane while she struggles to take care of the man she loves while he slowly falls deeper into the depths of a crumbling disease.

Other casting choices also help the film, which is supported by Emily Watson, Simon McBurney and David Thewlis.

Information about the disease, the deterioration of Hawking’s control of his body and the timeline of Stephen and Jane’s relationship is complex, but explained in matter that is simple for the audience.

What makes this film so good is its positivity. We can clearly see Stephen and Jane’s unimaginable struggle, yet they always push forward against the inevitable.

The Oscar bees will be buzzing around Redmayne’s electric performance.

“The Theory of Everything” sheds some light on current events, reminding the viewer that evil does not always triumph over good and that love itself may very well be ‘everything.’