Rediscovering old gems

This year, the Pokémon franchise levels up to 18 years old; with time, the series has matured and much has evolved.

The latest installments, Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby, are remakes of 2003’s Sapphire and Ruby.

Ruby and Sapphire featured Pokémon from the third generation of the franchise. The games also marked on of last Pokemon releases for the series on Game Boy Advanced.

This is Nintendo’s first remake for the 3DS and 2DS consoles.

Older fans of Pokemon can now appreciate Nintendo’s efforts to expanded and improved upon what already worked for them in the past.

The game is simple: it’s a first-person, role-playing game that follows a character that has just moved to the Hoenn Region. The player begins his or her journey by choosing a Pokémon to save Professor Brich from a wild Pokémon.

The familiar starter Pokémon are Treecko, Torchic or Mudkip.

After the player chooses the first Pokémon, he or she is free to explore the region, make some friends along the way, save the planet and ultimately become the world’s greatest Pokémon trainer.

What a difference 11 years can make in the video game realm; the game hit puberty full force with superb 3D renditions of “old school” Pokémon that pop – pixilated battles are now a thing of the past.

We have seen Nintendo give 3D a shot with 2013’s installment X and Y, but taking a world that is already familiar to some is much more engaging and charming; it should remind players about why they liked Ruby and Sapphire in the first place.

The plot is somewhat identical to the ones released in 2003, but there are new side quests to catch legendary Pokémon Rayquaza and Deoxys.

But it’s the small details and improvements that make make the game worthwhile.

Just the fact that characters are proportionate in relation their age and size is astounding; also, the ability to run without special running shoes, which are often acquired late in the game, is no longer a concern.

Contests that show of Pokémon moves in front of virtual audiences and audiences also made a return for the first time since 2003. Pikachu is now allowed to dress up in these contests, as well as in battle as a rock star, pop star, a doctor and even a lucha libre luchador.

With so much content, the game has endless replay value; expect to put countless hours into the game even once the main objectives are complete

From being one solid color on the Game Boy in 1996 with only 151 Pokémon to collect, to the Pokémon of today, which features immerse 3D worlds with over 700 pocket monster, it’s a game for both kids and kids at heart alike.

If you were ever a fan of the series and haven’t played in years, this might be the one that will make you want to catch ‘em all.