We Love Long Beach asks residents to host first citywide breakfast event

The gray gloom of Saturday’s skies set a stark contrast in Long Beach as neighbors opened their doors and filled their homes with early-morning eats.

Local non-profit We Love Long Beach sponsored a citywide event that encouraged Long Beach residents to host potluck breakfasts and brunches from 9 to 11 a.m. on Saturday.

Scott Jones, executive director of the non-profit, said he got the idea after living in Belmont Shore for over 25 years without getting to know his neighbors.

“One day, I decided to host a free breakfast in front of my house and about 50 people showed up,” Jones said. “I met more people [from my neighborhood] in that day than I did before.”

That moment led to the formation of the non-profit named We Love Long Beach in 2009, which has since evolved from a single person initiative to a citywide one.

Jones shares a home with his wife Lailanie in Greenbelt Heights, which was one of 30 locations that hosted the event.

Coffee, orange juice, bagels and muffins were some of the items on their garage-table spread. Neighbors sporting nametags sat together and mingled with each other.

“We wanted to get to know the people around us,” Lailanie said, noting that their recent move in the beginning of 2015 made the event especially significant for the couple.

The event was created through the WLLB’s social media sites in order to allow people to connect and join them. Jones said that online outreach was a helpful tool in organizing this event, and sees it as a great way to lead people to a more natural connection.

“We’re using social media tools to create face-to-face relationships,” Jones said.

At a second location, Dixie Dohrmann opened her own home for the cause.

“I’ve been blessed with a front yard, so it’s open to anyone that wants to use it,” Dohrmann said.

Blueberry muffins, assorted cereals, baguettes and butter were spread across yellow-lined tables. Visitors brought mini flower bouquets and shared stories against a backdrop of children’s laughter and pop-folk music.

Dohrmann said she volunteered her home to host the event because she likes to stay connected.

“I think we all share the commonality of living in the same area of this earth, and I like to always know my neighbors,” Dohrmann said.

She continued by saying that even though technology has helped put on the event, it can sometimes make people, like neighbors, even more disconnected than they already are.

“There’s nothing like saying hello to someone,” Dohrmann said. “I love to walk across the street and say hello to my neighbor.”

David Leonard, a board member of WLLB and California State University, Long Beach alumnus, breakfasted at Dohrmann’s home.

“It was a 12 out of 10 as far as we’re concerned,” Leonard said, regarding the turnout.

When WLLB volunteers went door-to-door to inform Long Beach residents about the event, Leonard said that many neighbors had already heard the news and were excited to attend.

“[We] encourage the city and its residents to move beyond the fear because the rewards versus the risks are far greater,” Leonard said. “As residents, we suffer in isolation and we heal in community.”