The Culture Corner

Welcome to the Culture Corner, a recurring series focused on the homesickness, culture collision and assimilation that California State University, Long Beach’s international students experience. It’s a chance to learn about another culture and see your own through a different pair of eyes.

Meet Ayman Alzahrani, a matriculated student from Saudi Arabia. He’s a freshman, leaning towards engineering, but still somewhat undecided. The Daily 49er spoke to him about his transition to The Beach.

Why did you decide to study in the United States?

I came because I needed this environment to help me. They only speak Arabic in my country and that will not improve my listening and speaking [English]. I will have a vocabulary but I will not know how to use it, so I need to practice.

What is the biggest difference between life in Saudi Arabia and life in the United States for you?

Back home, I would spend my time only with my family. In Saudi Arabia there are no cinemas; there are no night clubs; no bars, nothing. If I wanted to have fun, I went to the desert to hunt or play games in the sand.

I used to play soccer in my country in my leisure time or just to spend it with my friends. First when I came here I was amazed at the bars and the nightclubs and, everything you know? Also I have never studied in my country with girls. We have separate schools.

Was adjusting to American life hard?

Yes, of course, especially being 20 years old. It was a challenge because I used to live with my family. I didn’t do anything, I just went to school and went back home and then sleep and my food would be ready at a certain time.

When I came here I had a lot of things to do and also I didn’t know how to cook. When I came here I had a responsibility, it was difficult in the beginning but now I am used to it.

Do you think you have made a complete transition yet or are you still warming up to certain aspects?

I think I have completed it. I am ready to stay here for a long time, and I will stay here until I finish university. Some students come here to learn the language and then go back to [Saudi Arabia], but I will stay here. I will finish the language and maybe I will stay here for more than four years.

What place do you wish to visit in the U.S.?

Number one is Santa Monica. My dream is to live there. Especially on 3rd street. When I go there I am ready to spend my whole day there. Also my cousin lives there so I usually spend my weekends in Santa Monica in my cousin’s apartment. I also wish to go to San Diego one day.

What do you miss most about Saudi Arabia?

Well, what’s number one is my parents and my family and then my friends and then the food. Everywhere they cook [Arabic food] here, I don’t taste Arabic food; it’s American Arabic.

What do you plan to do when you graduate?

I will go back to my country, and I will find an occupation. I would like to work for a company in my country because I’ll make more money there. They have overtime if you want to work. So if I have nothing to do, I will just stay at work. Before I came here, my job [was from] 7 a.m. until 3:30 p.m., but I used to stay until 9:30 p.m. When I had no soccer game outside or something to do, I just stayed and made money. If I know how to speak English, I can have an office inside. If I get the language, I will have the chance to work for a good company.

*An earlier version of this story included an incorrect spelling of Ayman Alzahrani’s name.