Daily Forty-Niner front page becomes regular feature on Newseum

The Daily Forty-Niner becomes the second college newspaper to be regularly featured on Newseum, an archival site that showcases the best newspaper front pages from around the world.

Newseum, a subsidiary of the non-profit organization Freedom Forum, collects and digitally displays front pages of different newspapers from all over the world. Their mission is to educate people on the First Amendment and the freedoms it provides journalists.

“There has only been one other student newspaper on Newseum, and that’s the Daily Trojan,”  lecturer Gary Metzker said. “Getting on Newseum helps our branding and gets us recognized on an international stage. ”

The modernization of newspapers has pushed for a ‘digital first’ platform where online access to news has been at the forefront. With this emergence, resources that allow newspapers to increase their digital footprint have come along to accommodate print to the digital age.

Daily Forty-Niner design editor Alejandro Vazquez took the initiative to get the paper on Newseum. 

“It was a five minute process that took five years,” Vazquez said. “Gary has been nagging his designers for years to get the Daily Forty-Niner on Newseum.”

Alongside an increased emphasis on multimedia content, uploading the weekly print edition to Issuu and increasing social media activity, the Daily Forty-Niner’s new motto of ‘digital first,’ is being taken a step further on Newseum. By having the Daily Forty-Niner front page on this platform, student work is now available to an international audience.

The Daily Forty-Niner’s front page will be up on Newseum every Monday during the Fall and Spring semesters. For the latest updates and breaking news at Long Beach State University, visit Daily49er.com, follow @daily49er on social media, and see the front page in person by picking up a copy of the newspaper at one of the distribution locations on- or off-campus. 

1. Alejandro Vazquez

So cool! What a legend for increasing brand awareness!