Return of the Cats

Over the summer, coyotes ransacked the simple lives of Cal State Long Beach’s feral cat population, leaving cat carcasses scattered across campus and worried administrators calling for removal of the feral cat population within 40 days.

The California Department of Fish and Game investigated the coyote behavior and possible habitat at CSULB on July 12, and suggested the coyotes were attracted to food provided for feral cats by Campus Animal Assistance.

Campus Animal Assistance, a campus organization focused on caring for the miscellaneous wildlife at CSULB, has been dedicated to helping the on-campus feral cat population for more than a decade.

Shelters and food provided for the cats by Campus Animal Assistance sparked debate between campus officials and the organization. After the Fish and Game report and a July 13 protest calling for the university to remove the coyotes rather than the feral cats, the university revoked its original plan.

Now, a university and Animal Assistance negotiated cat-management plan sits on CSULB President F. King Alexander’s desk awaiting approval.

“We are working toward developing a program that defines the management program for the feral cats on campus,” said Toni Beron, CSULB vice president of university relations. “We are working cooperatively with the [Campus] Animal Assistance organization.”

The counter-proposal from Campus Animal Assistance, drafted after the first cat-management meeting Aug. 6 that left the organization displeased, established a better balance between the wants of Campus Animal Assistance and the university.

Details of the counter-proposal, however, could not be given to the public.

“They asked if we wouldn’t discuss it with anyone,” said Pat Meredith, CSULB alumna and cat caretaker for Campus Animal Assistance since 1998, after being asked for the details of the proposal.

Beron had the same to offer. “We are still in draft mode,” she said.

“I can tell you in a general fashion that we are cautiously optimistic about the meeting, and we worked on a counter-proposal to their original proposal and we all seem to be in agreement,” Meredith said.

Alexander has two weeks to approve or decline the proposal. If he does not sign the management plan, then another counter-proposal will be made at the end of the two-week period.

“As soon as our final proposal is passed we will be able to go ahead with Beach Cats,” Meredith said.

Beach Cats is an organization Meredith and others have been trying to start in order to open it up for student caretakers, since most of the caretakers under Campus Animal Assistance consist of faculty and staff. Completion of their constitution is contingent on finalization of the proposal.

CSULB officials projected coyote sightings would become less frequent or stop completely with the start of the semester. However, since the Aug. 6 cat-management meeting, 10 coyote sightings were reported to University Police and no complaints have been made about the feral cats, according to University Police Captain Fernando Solorzano.

With all of this taking place during summer on a mostly empty campus, students are split on the subject, and many are just learning about the issue.

“I believe in the wildlife,” said Jessica Abdou, a senior communications major. “If [the coyotes are] not hurting us, just let them roam. Let them do what they got to do.”

Some students find the cats beneficial to campus.

“They keep the rats out of here,” said Justin Mason, a senior communications major. “They don’t add to my tuition, so I support them–it’s free labor.” 

Students, faculty, members of Campus Animal Assistance and administrators remain in waiting for the final ruling on what will be done regarding the feral cats.

“Everyone is waiting to hear what F. King Alexander chooses to do,” Meredith said. 

Frances Vega contributed to this article.