Debate over proper textbook rental rates continues

With the ASI Senate resolution regarding the Textbook Rental Program written, it’s only a matter of time before a decision regarding the program is reached.

The Senate reviewed the resolution to support the Textbook Rental Program at this Wednesday’s meeting. The Textbook Rental Program would allow students to rent textbooks for a semester. 

One point the Senate resolution proposed was that the program should set forth “fair and adequate guidelines for participating students and faculty.”

Senators and ASI Vice President Christopher Chavez pushed once more to lower the 40 percent fee to somewhere between 30 percent and 35 percent, in order to ensure the program is reasonable for students. Sen. Thuy Tran, who sponsored and helped write the resolution, encouraged fellow senators to pass the program.

The resolution, if approved in weeks to come, will be passed on for further review and implemented by the spring 2009 semester.

Confusion on the Clear Majority Act between the ASI Senate and AS Judiciary prevents final ruling on the act from being reached. The Clear Majority Act will redefine what an acceptable majority is in the instance that all 20 seats of the Senate are not filled. Next weeks meeting may hold a final answer to this on-going debate.

Senate members also proposed a resolution to expand commercial and non-commercial services to areas in need, including the performing arts and engineering sections on campus.