Will California buy a railway to heaven?

Proponents of Proposition 1A envision high-speed trains running between San

Francisco and San Diego, but concerns about funding could derail the idea.

If passed, Proposition 1A would partially fund a high-speed rail system by authorizing a $9.95-billion bond measure. The bond would cost the state about $19.4 billion after gaining interest, and will be paid back in 30 annual payments of about $647 million apiece. This does not include yearly maintenance costs of more than $1 billion, which will be at least partially offset by passenger fares.

Supporters of the measure call it a convenient and affordable alternative to driving, as well as a job generator. Opponents say it is too expensive and that there is no guarantee the train will actually get built. 

“With our budget crisis,” says the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association website, “now is not the time to add another $20 billion in state debt and interest.”

But others still find the prospect of a Californian high-speed rail system enticing.

According to Californians for High-Speed Trains, a coalition in support of the proposition, the project will create 160,000 construction-related jobs.  The train will also create economic growth, which will create an additional 450,000 jobs, the coalition said.  

“California’s population will continue to grow and the already-congested roads will choke even more with additional traffic,” said Mahyar Amouzegar, associate dean for research and development at Cal State Long Beach’s College of Engineering. “The idea of a high-speed train is rather appealing and it is about time for California to consider such a project.”

$9 billion of the bond would go to connecting San Francisco to Los Angeles with a high-speed train.  The remaining $950 million would improve existing trains to make them safer or connect them to the high-speed train.   

The trains would travel at 220 mph, according to the California High Speed Rail Authority, which was created in 1996 to develop the train.  A trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles would take two hours and 38 minutes.    

As they did in 1978 with Proposition 13, they continue to do today. The Howard Jarvis people froze taxes to themselves, but made sure they would be levied against millions of poor people. Howard Jarvis sold his red herring as a way to lower rents. Has that happened? Hell no. This self-serving clan has made billions by passing the buck. The only thing they’re worried about is having to pay their fair share for anything, even if it means spending a short bundle on their boondoggle arguments. Prop 1A would be a tremendous boon for all Californians in the way of future revenue, eased environmental problems and J-O-B-S. Pass this one before it passes us all on the freeway.