‘Making Connections’ highlights wellness

Disabled Student Services is promoting exercise and wellness tomorrow afternoon in the Making Connections Workshop: Health at The Beach.

The Making Connections Workshop is designed to help the disabled population with resources, as well making connections with each other and other students at Cal State Long Beach. Any CSULB student or faculty member is welcome to attend.

“I believe that your lifestyle is your legacy, and you never know whose life you may preserve through the way you take care of yourself,” said workshop committee member Vickki Williams in an e-mail.

According to Carter, exercising make people happier. When you move endorphins are released in your body and you feel better.

“I want to encourage all college students to keep moving,” Carter said.
The workshop will start with introductions, followed by a presentation by kinesiology instructor Jeri Carter. After the presentation there will be a Q-and-A session.

Carter will speak about the importance of taking care of yourself and your health. According to Carter, it’s important to raise the awareness of the importance of keeping fit through different kinds of exercises, such as walking, dancing and swimming.

Carter will also discuss preventing injuries during a workout and treating injuries such as a pulled muscle or soreness.

According to Williams, there are many opportunities at CSULB for the nondisabled population.

“These workshops are put together to help the disabled population with resources and to make connections. Some of these connections may consist of connecting with the nondisabled population,” Williams said.

Jeri has not been working a lot with disabled students at campus, but saw the invite as an opportunity to reach out to the disabled population as well as the non-disabled population.

The workshop was organized by the DSS Making Connections Committee. The committee includes students Deaka McClain, Estella Flores and Williams, as well as Rachelle Ang, DSS case manager.

“I hope through the Making Connection: Health at The Beach workshop that students will have a desire to stay fit,” McClain said.

The workshop will take place tomorrow in room 270 at Brotman Hall from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.