UNIV 100 suspended for 2 years

Incoming freshmen at Cal State Long Beach do not have to worry about taking University 100, since the class has been suspended for the next two years due to budget cuts.

In previous years, University 100 has been a required class for graduation, but this requirement is being waived beginning with the 2009 freshman class. University 100 is designed to help aid in the transition between high school and college and to engage students in the college experience.

“First-year seminars play a critical role in the undergraduate curriculum, enhancing students’ transitions from high school to college and serving an important mentoring role for new students,” said Lynn Mahoney, associate vice president for undergraduate studies, in an e-mail sent to staff members. “Many faculty and staff members have spent considerable time over the past two years discussing ways to further enhance University 100 into such a course. It is with great reluctance that we place this course on hold until state finances allow us to re-implement it.”

Full-time professors will now be able to return to their departments to teach without having to take time out to teach a University 100 class.

“It’s very unfortunate that the UNIV 100 is cancelled,” said Emiko Kawashima, director of international admissions, via e-mail. “This is an excellent program in which

students are part of the larger learning community. However, I also understand the need for the course to be cut because of the budgetary reasons.”

Although many thought University 100 had little academic value, it served as a good class to become acquainted with CSULB and to meet new people.

“It was an easy pass and a way to make friends. My best friend, actually, I met in that class,” said Julie Elgabalawi, a junior business management major.

The question of the degree of usefulness of University 100 stirs up mixed reviews among returning CSULB students.

“The summer one helps to get you recognized with the campus, but I don’t think the semester one helps since you’re already in your classes,” said Ryan Freydig, a sophomore civil engineering major.

The cancellation of the class doesn’t seem to disturb all of the freshmen.

“I don’t think that it will make much of a difference in my transition because some people take the class in only three days over the summer and it doesn’t seem like it’s that big of a deal,” said Lidia Rodriguez, a freshman journalism major.

Many have said that it will also be inconvenient for those freshmen who have already enrolled in a University 100 class through Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration and now have to drop the class and rearrange their schedules.

“I don’t think it helped me with my academics but I’m glad I took it because you know what you’re a part of,” said Sokhom Chhoeun, a recent graduate who majored in liberal studies. 

E-mail addresses are used only to notify you of replies and are not displayed