Man allegedly punches student for shoes

Police say a student was attacked Aug. 22 after refusing to give his $115 shoes to a male suspect.

The victim was walking through Parking Structure 1 around 6:30 p.m. to get to his car when a man yelled out to the student, said Fernando Solorzano, University Police captain. Solorzano said the man asked for the student’s shoes and when the student refused, the man punched him in the nose.

“There were witnesses that saw it and kind of scared the suspect away,” Solorzano said.

According to Solorzano, the victim was wearing Air Jordan Chris Paul shoes that have a retail price of $115. The suspect is described as a 6-foot-2-inch muscular man in his early 20s who weighs about 220 pounds. He was wearing a white tank top with blue jeans.

According to the police activity log, the victim was attending the Nikkei Games basketball event at the Walter Pyramid. The alleged crime was reported to University Police a day later after an official from the games contacted University Police.

Police didn’t catch the suspect on the university camera system because the incident occurred inside the parking structure, which has no cameras. The suspect did not get the shoes and Solorzano called it a random act.