Vaccine recommended to ward off swine flu

Prevention and vaccination against this upcoming flu season for the H1N1 virus, orswine flu, will soon be available on campus and at certain Long Beach health centers by mid-October.

The vaccination is expected to be available after state and national clinical trials are completed. Student Health Services has requested about 2,200 doses for Cal State Long Beach dorm students, according to Dr. Michael Carbuto, acting director of Student Health Services and chief of medical staff.

“We will offer and strongly recommend that resident students receive the vaccination,” Carbuto said. “Due to the nature of their living situation, they’re at much higher risk for spreading it than someone who lives with their family or off-campus apartment.”

Residents of campus dorms have been notified that the vaccine will be available, and many have said they are already planning on receiving the two-dose vaccination.

“I’m not really worried, but I’m going to get it just to be safe,” said freshman Joan Hernandez, a civil engineering major. “It’s a quick thing you can do here.”

Carbuto also said additional doses have been requested for high-risk students regardless of their housing situation. This category includes pregnant women, people with chronic health disorders or compromised immune systems, and students under 24.

Recent summer months have seen an increase in hospitalizations for cases of novel H1N1 in Long Beach. Approximately 42 cases were reported in the Long Beach area in the months of June, July and August, according to Long Beach City Health Officer Helene Calvet. There have been two additional cases reported at CSULB since May.

Despite a case involving the Los Alamitos Residence Hall last semester, many dorm students are not worried.

“I’m not too concerned about it actually; [the] flu kills more people than swine flu,” said senior Leslie Burns, a creative writing and literature major.

Burns thinks that although the regular flu season comes every year, people should fear the regular flu more than swine flu.

“Swine flu is just the new strain of the same old thing,” Burns said.

The Long Beach Department of Health is requesting that people who show symptoms of fever, shortness of breath, cough, sore throat and headaches stay away from public places, such as work and school.

“People can return after 24 hours without taking Tylenol or Ibuprofen to break the fever,” Calvet said. “We’re just asking people to be very careful when returning to work or school.”

Calvet said most cases do not require hospitalization and can be treated at home.

“Stay away from people who are sick, wash your hands frequently and sleep well, and eat right to ensure that your immune system does not run down,” she said.

Flu self-test kits will be available for sale from Student Health Services before the flu season begins. Kits will include a “tempi-dot” sticker that measures temperature, fever reducers such as Advil or Ibuprofen, Kleenex, Purell and self-care instructions.

Carbuto said that students should plan where they would stay if they were to get sick. He added that going home may be the best if the risk of exposing others is low.

Student Health Services is prepared to treat students who contract H1N1 and experience complications such as worsening fever or difficulty breathing.

“The School of Nursing has been very generous in offering their students to come help us,” Carbuto said.

CSULB has an influenza preparedness committee that meets every week, and members are making efforts to network with many areas that can give additional help if a large student population becomes infected, according to Carbuto.

“When we have any definite information we will share it with the public,” Calvet said. “We are doing our best to get the vaccine out to those who need it and for those who it is recommended.”

Carbuto said that “we’re ready for gamut of possibilities.”