Wanted: 434 students to live at Residential Learning College

Even though the semester has already begun, there are still 434 spots available for student housing at the Residential Learning College.

According to Carol Roberts-Corb, director of Housing and Residential Life, there are several factors that have affected the low number of campus housing applications. In addition, lower enrollment this semester has drained the pool of dorm applicants.

Another reason why the RLC is so empty is because it was under renovation all summer and potential students were not able to view the apartments.

The RLC, which was formerly Brooks College, was completely renovated for Cal State Long Beach students. The property was acquired in 2007 after the college’s parent company was unable to find an appropriate buyer.

Roberts-Corb said the RLC has three residential buildings. They knocked down one building and made it a parking area for residents. There are two buildings for residential living, but only one building has been filled. There are 130 students currently living at the RLC.

According to Roberts-Corb, housing marketed the RLC in the spring and summer. They sent out e-mails and put information up around campus.

“We’ve done our best to reach out for students,” Roberts-Corb said.

There are also faculty apartments and classrooms. So far, there is one faculty member and one intern who graduated from CSULB living in the RLC facilities. The faculty member is a mathematics teacher who is teaching a class at the RLC.

The facility also contains new furniture, ceilings and tiling, as well as free Wi-Fi, four new classrooms and a swimming pool. In addition, it has a brand new dining hall with exhibition cooking — different dining stations for different types of food.

The RLC also offers a shuttle service that travels to and from campus. The shuttles run from 7 a.m. until 1 a.m. and are free for students.