Student sexually assaulted on campus

A 63-year-old Cal State Long Beach student was followed to campus and sexually assaulted last Friday.

Campus police were able to catch the suspect with the help of witnesses and cameras that were installed throughout campus last year.

The incident began off campus when the female victim boarded a bus bound for campus around 12:30 p.m., leaving Westminster. When she boarded, she noticed a suspicious man. The man was later identified as 51-year-old Larry Thanh Vo, University Police said.

The student told police that she felt uncomfortable when the man sat next to her, so she changed seats. Still uncomfortable, she then exited the bus and boarded another; her attacker followed, according to police.

The victim arrived on campus and exited at the bus stop near the Liberal Arts building, police said. She decided to get something to eat and at this time, Vo approached her and briefly spoke to her. The student, already uncomfortable and agitated, decided to go into the women’s restroom of the Academic Services building. The attacker followed her in.

While in the restroom, Vo approached the victim, kissed her on her cheek and then moved to her neck while he fondled her breasts, police said.

The victim screamed and Vo immediately fled the women’s restroom.

A witness followed Vo out of the AS building and trailed behind him as he slowly walked back toward the bus stop. Another witness had placed a call to police and dispatchers were able to track Vo through the camera system.

“The crime was complete when he kissed her on her cheek and neck,” said University Police Captain Fernando Solorzano.

According to the CSULB police log, the assault occurred at 1:26 p.m.

On video, the suspect can be seen walking in between the library and the LA-1 building as he heads to the bus stop. Not too far behind him, a young woman is carrying her cell phone and watching him.

The witness is seen waiting for campus police to arrive and, once they did, they called for Vo, who did not resist arrest and was successfully taken into custody.

University Police Chief Stan Skipworth said “witnesses were very helpful” in the apprehension of Vo.

Vo was booked at the Long Beach Police Department and is being charged for three violations: sexual battery with restraint, false imprisonment and unlawful violation of personal liberty of another, and being in a restroom of the opposite sex.

He is awaiting trial; his bail is set at $50,000.